My computer won't read hard drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

totalcarnage

Solid State Member
I got a computer from a friend and I got it back to good working condition. Then about a week later I come home, and it won't read the hard drive. I thought maybe the hard drive died, so I put an old hard drive from another computer init, but it won't read that one either.

I'm not sure if there is a problem with the motherboard, or maybe the first hard drive is dead, and I might have installed the second one incorrectly.

So, uh, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

Oh, it is a P4P800 ASUS motherboard if that woulc help any.

Edit: Update my other computer recognizes the original hard drive as a device but not as a hard drive.

I'm sure you checked to see if the headers are correctly put on.

Then I would check if the IDE cables are plugged into the right ends.

If those 2 do not apply, press delete during boot, find your boot priorities and see if harddrive isn't included there.

I checked the IDE Cables, but I do not know what the headers. As far as I could tell it just isn't detecting the device at all still. I'll try to mess with it some more tonight.

Yeah, you were right. I went to a parrty and my friend suggested that, so when I came home I switched the cables from the working computer to the broken one and it worked better than ever. Also, the hard drive that used to be in it is definately dead, so now I have to get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom