My computer wont boot - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default My computer wont boot

I was uninstalling my vipre anti virus 30 day trail so I could install the premium edition, Once I uninstalled it I restarted my computer so the changes would take affect but imidiatly after doing this my computer didnt boot, and it comes up with this message:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

I had a camera connected to my computer via usb cable, so I tryed taking that out and restarting the computer but I still got the same message, So after that I even tryed unplugging the mouse, keybord and speakers but I still get the message. Can anyone please help?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via MSN to Sheepykins
Default Re: My computer wont boot

Go into your bios and see how your boot sequence is set up, maybe its trying to reach a device not present?

Old 04-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm guessing your running windows vista?
/boot/bcd is a file used during the boot process of windows vista. I don't know much about it but if you have a vista recovery CD boot from that and use the Vista startup repair as described here. But unless you really know what you are doing only attempt method 1 and 2. If you don't have a recovery CD I believe you can download one somewhere...
Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Networking Apprentice

If it doesn't even turn on then that's really bad. What kind of PC are you using? Tower or Laptop? And also what is the make of the PC?
If you liked what I say or just want to share the love click the scales on the bottom left of my post. :)
Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Do you have a windows repair disk. It just makes it easier rather then going through one step at a time. Other things you could do is unplug the cable that powers cd rom, unplug connection that fires up usb ports which is a cable going from usb to motherboard, unplug sound which goes from audio jack to motherboard) and anything else you can think of that isn't required to boot into windows.

Most importantly, Can you start in safe mode?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Networking Apprentice

Please describe in more detail. Will it actually even turn on or will it boot and then do something?

If you liked what I say or just want to share the love click the scales on the bottom left of my post. :)
Closed Thread