My computer is mean to me please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

warhar

Solid State Member
I have built my own pc:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz HT 1MB Cache Skt478
Asrock P4V88+ Mboard
1GB Ram (1x 512mb crucial unbuff ddr, 2x 256mb generic)
nVidia FX 5600XT 256MB Graphics Card
Generic 6ch sound card (cmedia chip)
550w power supply dual fan
Well ventilated case

I built it for playing on games, especially hl2 and mods. Sometimes when I exit from hl2 my computer resets on its own (as if you just pressed the reset button). I was thinking this might have been because of my unreliable generic hardware. Is this the problem?

Also my computer is generally unreliable like it may quit programs for no reason or crash in the basic programs. :(

Thanks.

Try this

right click my computer and go to properties.

in the advanced tab, click startup and recovery and in system failure uncheck auto restart. There may be some error causing it to reboot.

uhh, u can do that, or u can get a new stick of ram. that mobo has ddr, now u are using ddr, but only 512mb of it, and its going into crappy ram too. just get another stick of 512 crucial thats the same as the one in there, and that can solve your problems. alos, check ctrl alt delete for any unknown processes

bmxfreakrider said:
uhh, u can do that, or u can get a new stick of ram. that mobo has ddr, now u are using ddr, but only 512mb of it, and its going into crappy ram too. just get another stick of 512 crucial thats the same as the one in there, and that can solve your problems. alos, check ctrl alt delete for any unknown processes

How can half a GB of RAM be DDR, and the other half not be?

That doesn't make any sense. :confused:

And besides, adding a good stick of ram to a system with potentially bad ram wont solve the problem, it will just push it into the background until you run some memory-intensive programs or games. Disable the auto-restart thing like Bruce said, but also run a memory testing program, like Memtest86, to make sure your ram is OK.

Thanks bruce but if my computer restarted because of system failure wouldn't my pc display a blue screen first?

Yea, it's probably the ram...just remove and run with 512MB to see if that stops the restarting problem.

You also might want to check the CPU for overheating. 3.2 Prescotts run kinda hot.

Warhar do you overclock at all? Possibly you havent found the sweet spot yet if thats the case. Also you said that these sudden restarts happen when you aremostly playing games(Graphic demanding games I might add) quite possibly your gpu card might be overheating.

Check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom