My computer is making real scary noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydzy

In Runtime
Yeah, so the topic gives you an idea what's wrong, haha

Basically, whenever I turn off my computer after being for a couple of hours or so, about 5-10 mins after it is off, is starts crackling, real loud sometimes, like... kind of like it is radioactive, that kind of noise, haha, similar to cicadas I guess but less musical? =P

I can't figure out what it is, it sounds like it is coming from around the CPU/Heatsink area, but it could be the Ram I guess, and possibly my gfx card, but it sounded as if it were more central than below the CPU. (I sat next to the open computer and listened last night). Been doing this for a fair while now, can't remember if it was happening before I installed the new Heatsink. I am presuming something is either being damaged, or it is discharging electricity or something?

CPU is an E6600, overclocked previously but for the last 5 months or so been @ 2.4. Heatsink is the ASUS Silent Knight, and the ram is A-DATA PC 6400, again, overclocked to 866 I think a while back, but on 800 now.

Graphics card is XFX 8800GTX, but I don't think it is coming from there.

Any clues as to what it could be?

Cheers,
Sydz

Nope, or at least not that I can tell. If there is it must be bloody silent as all **** cause I've never heard it, haha. I guess it could be coming from teh PSU from the bottom of it or something, but I don't think it sounded that high.

It's a Thermaltake Toughpower 850W or something, i think it is "toughpower", if that helps at all.

I would say its your PSU but without actually being there its hard to say.

Try this!

Remove the 4 screws that hold the PSU in (make sure your rig is on its side!) and move the PSU out of the case as far as possible while keeping everything connected. Now do whatever it is you do to make it scare ya. If its the PSU, you should be able to tell right away. If its not that, sorry for wasting your time. :)

Turn all the lights out and then watch it and see if you see any light comming from in there.

@SinxarKnights,
lol, that could be a problem, the computer needs to be turned on v recently for it to happen, haha, without a PSU in it some problems may arise!

@sPlAtOiD

The more I think abuot it the more likely it is the PSU, lol, cause like 6 months ago there was a while where my computer would just turn off instantly like once a day for no reason, loss of power maybe, so yeah the PSU probs got some issues, but that doesn't happen anymore.

Anyway, I'll get back to you after tonight, I'll be sure to look at one of the grills on the PSU to watch for lights

Haha, I was tempted, but the I wouldn't be able to use my computer! haha, I don't have spare PSU lying round, lul

That and no lights or anything from the power supply, I sat down last night and looked, nothin, and near certain it isnt coming from PSU, definitely sounded around the CPU, maybe the GFX card area.

Wouldn't be my motherboard making weird noises discharging or something, Asus P5B

That's just too weird. Maybe take off you heat sync and reapply thermal paste and re seat it. That way you can inspect the chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom