My bad...it's the CPU fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejeremy

In Runtime
Hi everyone,

I recently posted a topic concerning my system fan. Well it turns out that the noise is coming from the CPU fan itself, which is supposed to be running constantly. But since I put this new motherboard in it's much louder than before. I checked the BIOS screen to see if I could control the RPMs of this fan but it only offered information, no configuration options. Here's what it said:

Current CPU Temp: ~30 degrees Celsius
Current SYSFAN Speed: ~2000 RPM
Current CPUFAN Speed: ~4440 RPM
CPU Vcore: 1.68 V
AGP Vcore: 1.50 V
3.3 V: ~3.3 V
+12 V: ~12.5 V

Do these stats look reasonable? I'm still looking for a way to slow it down a little without worrying about the CPU overheating. If I can't, I may be buying a new fan...

Those figures look reasonable.

If you wanted to go the extra mile, you could get a custom cpu cooler with adjustable fan speed slider.

Yea we'll see if I feel like goin that far... I checked it out a bit further, and I was going to use SpeedFan to regulate it but the motherboard doesn't support fan control, so I guess my options are:

1) buy a new quieter fan, or
2) deal with it heh

I figure buying a new fan may be cheaper than paying for a bunch of gadgets to control one fan..

Well, I'm sure it's giving a lot of heat at almost 1.7volts..maybe it's just running that high because it's hot.

When I installed the new motherboard, I used the same processor that was on the old one. However, it was my first time doin all this, so once I figured out how to get the heatsink off I took the processor and installed it on the new board immediately. Was I supposed to apply some thermal paste to it before doing so? That thought just popped in my head...

If that has nothing to do with it, then I'm pretty sure I can control how much voltage the CPU is getting in the BIOS screen...I remember seein it. Would it have a serious effect on performance if I lowered that value?

The fan looks like its running at full speed... Whereas it probably wasnt before with your old mboard....i had a similar problem with a cpu fan and i had to cut one of the 4 wires going to the fan to get it at a normal speed. 4400 is screeming fast, it should be half that or less....

Or its actually running hot and speeding the fan to cool your cpu..YES u need some Artic silver5 thermal paste between the h/s and the cpu.

30 degrees is cold. Try another program like 'EverestHome Edition' to double check your temps.

If cutting one of the wires is an option I'll look into that one last.

Although that does sound like the easiest fix.

I'll try applying some thermal paste when I get a chance. I did download the trial version of Everest Ultimate Edition and the temperatures were right around 30 or 31 degrees like I expected. Those are in Celsius, so it's really not that cold. It's the same measurement that I've been getting from another program as well as the BIOS.

thejeremy said:

If that has nothing to do with it, then I'm pretty sure I can control how much voltage the CPU is getting in the BIOS screen...I remember seein it. Would it have a serious effect on performance if I lowered that value?

Yes, it'd cause your computer to crash.... Yeah you should have put some AS5 on it before you put it together. Ok try updating your bios, I know on the MB I'm using now that the fan control part was added on a later bios. Where about do you live, someone may have a spare controler that came with a fan that they're not using, I have 2 laying around... somewhere. Buying a better heatsink is a better option, but not the cheapest.

thejeremy said:
If cutting one of the wires is an option I'll look into that one last.

Although that does sound like the easiest fix.

I'll try applying some thermal paste when I get a chance. I did download the trial version of Everest Ultimate Edition and the temperatures were right around 30 or 31 degrees like I expected. Those are in Celsius, so it's really not that cold. It's the same measurement that I've been getting from another program as well as the BIOS.

So its not overheating, but the fan is running too fast. How many wires does it have and what is the mbaord and fan etc? You could also try going into the bios and see if there are any options for fan speed control. 30 is very cold, most cpus run 45-55 on a stock cooler.

Make sure the fan plug going onto the motherboard is inserted in the 3 pins and not in 2. Make sure the Power switch and the reset and hdd led and whatnot is in the correct pins on the motherboard. Also make sure that the jumper for the cmos reset and password reset r in the correct pins. If i switch my reset jumper from 1-2 pin to 2-3 pin, my cpu fan runs at max speed and i can still get into windows. my fan speed gets to about 6000rpm and its freaking loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom