Music hardware problem... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to surfnkid
Default Music hardware problem...

I've got a problem that has completely baffled me. I have eliminated every possibility I am aware of and tried every applicable suggestion I can find on the internet. I hope somebody here can help me.

My music is crackling, popping and jumping slightly: just enough to throw off the beat and totally ruin the music.

I’m no expert, but let me tell you the possibilities I think I’ve eliminated and why:

--My speakers: they work fine with my iPod.
--My sound card: the problem persists with either my internal or external sound card.
--My drivers: I’ve updated these, and as I said above, it doesn’t work with either card (they do use different drivers don’t they?).
--My hard drive: I’ve tried both my internal and external drives. Both have plenty of space and are freshly defragged.
--My processor: closing down everything hasn’t helped and it doesn’t run at more than 50%.
--RAM: I’ve made sure plenty is free.
--My mp3s: CDs have the same problem.

Other notes:

--I’ve tried various outputs. The headphone jack doesn’t work any better than the USB output to my external sound card.
--I’ve also tried switching to “waveOut only” in the Quick Time settings.
--This problem is new. I’ve never had trouble with it before, no matter what I was running in the background.
--My external sound card is new, but the problem started before I got it.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2006, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

The processor running at 50%..that's not good, if it's running at that rate constantly. Have you tried using another mp3 player beside Quicktime?

Old 04-15-2006, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I think the 50% I'm talking about doesn't include system idle. I'm getting that number from the "Performance" tab with the graph in the Task Manager. I have tried WMP also, and it has the same problem.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

thats defintly 50% in idle , your pc is infected with some spyware or some program that runs on startup is real processor hungry , check usage in the *processes* tab

scan with ewido & windows defender & trend micro anti-spyware (and of course update before scanning)
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/msantispy.html
http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-...ml?tag=lst-0-1

when done with all 3 , download hijackthis
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hijackthis.html , click "do a system scan and save a logfile" , then open a new thread at this section and copy & paste http://www.techist.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=126
Old 04-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I may have mislead you again about the 50%, that's WITH music playing. With nothing at all, and most apps closed down, I'm getting 0-15%. I followed all of your advice though, and posted the log. Maybe something will show up. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

Is this the laptop on your sig that's having the problem?
Old 04-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

I'm pretty much out of idea myself. I can't understand why your CPU is at 50% just playing music. It shouldn't be like that; something is hogging alot of resources on your system. The only thing left I got for helping you is to check device manager and disable any hardware that you don't use. Perhaps this might be another hardware conflict or causing the problem.

Closed Thread