Multiple BSOD's

Jay_G

Beta member
Hi guys

I wonder if anyoen can help, might be a long one.

Basically, yesterday I replaced a damaged CPU in my PC (pins got bent, couldnt get them straight enough for the PC to boot). Yesterday went fine, installed windows, set up shared folders, downloaded everything I needed and went to bed. THe new CPU was bought second hand off eBay.

Today, my new heatsink + fan came (the old one was starting to make a racket!), so being excited that I had something new to play with, I set about changing it. Went in fine, and welcomed the blissful new silence.

Then, as I logged in, about 2-3 minutes later I got a BSOD. This was "Page Fault in non paged area", and IIRC it related to a Nvidia file. I then restarted it, ready to download some new drivers, and low and behold happened at the same time, this time with "bad pool header". Great... Iv done something wrong here....

Logged onto safe mode, and it either froze completly, or I got another BSOD, cant remember which, although both have happened at some point today.

Its not the hard drive, as it does it without the hard drive (trying to boot from a Windows Setup disc), and with another hard drive. Unless both sticks of ram are faulty/sockets faulty, its not them (I have tried them both in alternate sockets on there own, yet to do a MEMTEST though)

Which possibly leaves the CPU, or motherboard.

ASRock N68C-S Motherboard
3 GB of ram (Corsiar I think)
AMD Athlon II x2 6000+
Hitachi 750GB hard drive

I can post the logs up shortly, just transfering them to my laptop now.

Anyone got any ideas from that? Its annoying me SO MUCH. I am hoping its driver related, but not holding much luck as it does it with a different hard drive, and no hard drive.

The BSOD's I have had:

A driver has overrun a stack based buffer
Page fault in a nonpaged area
Driver IRQL not less or equal
Memory management
Bad Pool header

I remember one of the files being win32k.sys

If anyone can help, I will be eternally grateful!

Hi guys

I wonder if anyoen can help, might be a long one.

Basically, yesterday I replaced a damaged CPU in my PC (pins got bent, couldnt get them straight enough for the PC to boot). Yesterday went fine, installed windows, set up shared folders, downloaded everything I needed and went to bed. THe new CPU was bought second hand off eBay.

Today, my new heatsink + fan came (the old one was starting to make a racket!), so being excited that I had something new to play with, I set about changing it. Went in fine, and welcomed the blissful new silence.

Then, as I logged in, about 2-3 minutes later I got a BSOD. This was "Page Fault in non paged area", and IIRC it related to a Nvidia file. I then restarted it, ready to download some new drivers, and low and behold happened at the same time, this time with "bad pool header". Great... Iv done something wrong here....

Logged onto safe mode, and it either froze completly, or I got another BSOD, cant remember which, although both have happened at some point today.

Its not the hard drive, as it does it without the hard drive (trying to boot from a Windows Setup disc), and with another hard drive. Unless both sticks of ram are faulty/sockets faulty, its not them (I have tried them both in alternate sockets on there own, yet to do a MEMTEST though)

Which possibly leaves the CPU, or motherboard.

ASRock N68C-S Motherboard
3 GB of ram (Corsiar I think)
AMD Athlon II x2 6000+
Hitachi 750GB hard drive

I can post the logs up shortly, just transfering them to my laptop now.

Anyone got any ideas from that? Its annoying me SO MUCH. I am hoping its driver related, but not holding much luck as it does it with a different hard drive, and no hard drive.

The BSOD's I have had:

Memory management
Bad Pool header

I remember one of the files being win32k.sys

If anyone can help, I will be eternally grateful!

Before you bent your pins on your old cpu, how was this board acting before ?
You said you got your athlon ii x2 second hand from ebay right ?
If I were you I would ask the seller directly if he had any problems with it.

Once you find out this, post back and I'll tell you what might be going wrong, and I hope it is not what I'm thinking....

Hi Mike

Waiting for a reply from the seller ATM. The board was fine, never had a problem with it.

So far, Iv tried my brothers CPU in this pc, and it worked flawlessly without a problem, put mine back in and it BSOD Soon as I logged in.

What was you thinking?

Hi Mike
What was you thinking?

Memory management
Bad Pool header

Possible the ram, thats what caught my eye near the end, then again with your cpu going bonkers, I would blame it first.
You could do much better with a athlon x3 or x4 if this one does not work out.

We'll see what happens when you reply later.

Welcome to Tech-Forums by the way. :)

Back
Top Bottom