Multi Os Computing Issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xile

Beta member
I have a computer with 2 hard drives One with Linux and the other with Windows XP. Normally having a multi OS computer isnt a problem I know (well thought i knew what I was doing) how to configure the (single) hard drive to select which operating system to use. But here is my problem, I have Two hard drives, and each os is using the entire hard drive. When the computer boots it hangs after the post test and isn't sure which hard drive to load. Is there a work around this? Is there a way I can select which hard drive to boot without having to physically unplug one or the other?

(The hard drives are SATA 150 37gb Western Digital Raptors)

use a 3rd party tool like partition magic to install the second system. it make it easy for you to do (it hard to do it by yourself in disc management)and you can use pqboot to hide the other system while you are using the active one

Bought partition magic and gave it a shot. Just a little FYI for those of you out there In "Partition Magic" there is a program called "BootMagic" (original I know) which allows you to tell the master boot record which operating system to load. But BootMagic will only work on FAT or FAT32 not NTFS. (Read this in the help file)
So if you want to use BootMagic on NTFS you have to create a small (50mg) or so FAT or FAT32 partition and load BootMagic there. Then you can select which operating system you load after that point... So basically you have 3 partitions. 1) A small FAT partition 2) A NTFS partition and then 3) your Lunix or what ever partition you want to use.

they have PQboot and PQ boot for windows in Partition Magic. this will let you boot to any system whether it's ntfs or fat32, linux or vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom