MSI K8N Neo4 w/ VS Corsair

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingWizard

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I have a slight problem and I need some help.

First of all my rig is the following:
AMD 3000+ Athlon64 939-Pin
MSI K8N Neo4-F
1GB (2x 512) ValueSelect Corsair Ram PC3200 DDR-400 (Kit)
Nvidia GeForce 6600 256MB PCX
Seagate 200GB HDD SATA-II
Pioneer DVD Writer

So yesterday I recieved my 2 extra 512MB ValueSelect Corsair Ram (not a kit but also PC3200 DDR-400) and i installed vista.

The Ram specs were the same as the kit that was in my motherboard.

I filled the 4dimms to make it a 2GB but according to MSI they should run at 333Mhz..

anyway,

Vista installed, loaded, updated and all, I am experiencing sometimes random reboots when i click on something that should stimulate a pop-up or open a new directory etc . I disabled the automatic restart so i get to see a BSOD but when it locks up it just freezes (instead of the restart) and no BSOD appears.

Now i took off the 2 new rams i installed and the system seems a little faster... and no lockups/restarts

So how does the system seem faster with 1GB instead of 2GB ? could there be anything to do with the timing of the ram ? (they are all identical.. all 4 of them)

After few hours of problem-free vista with just 2 memory slots filled, i switched to use the 2 new rams instead of the 2 old and i got the same performance.. no lockups/no restart.

Now i checked the voltage for the rams on the internet, it said 2.5V

In the motherboard it was set to 2.65V since 2 years... and i had no problem

does lowering it to 2.5V could prove to be a solution for the slight stuttering and random reboots ?

And how can i make all 4 dimms to work in harmony ? I want to have 2GB system memory but i want to have a smooth running environment as well (you always feel that little stuttering when the 4 dimms are inserted but it is quiet smooth with just 2 of them)

Please share some thoughts.

"does lowering it to 2.5V could prove to be a solution for the slight stuttering and random reboots ?"

i think you hit the spot. i once used the Ai Booster Software by ASUS which was together with the motherboard p5ld2 deluxe. was having this kind of options.. cpu overclocking.. voltage boost e.t.c.. i make some tests... and i was having the same problems.. restarts, shut downs.. not power up somethimes.. i restore to the default settings and everything was ok.
this happents on windows xp, and windows vista also.
it must be some security issues, and this is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom