MSI K8MM3 mbo constantly rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

memac

Solid State Member
I just purchased a bare bones kit with an MSI K8MM3-V mbo in it. I have moved my old hard drive over but the system (Win XP Home) will not run. It goes through the post fine but when it gets to loading windows it reboots (this just keeps going over and over). Even if I pick 'Safe Mode' it loads the drivers then reboots. I am assuming it is because it needs the new mbo drivers in windows and doesn't have them, but how do I get them there if I can't get into windows?
Any ideas would be useful.

I did somethign like that a long time ago, and i was at least able to boot into windows to get my drivers updated, to be honest it was a PITA and i ended up reformatting and reinstalling windows, drivers, and my files from scratch. But if you want to go thru the headache, it sounds like a problem with the files in the boot sector. These are critical files that windows needs to operate, even in safe mode. You can try booting off your windows install disk, and then doing a repair. Eventually it will come up with a command prompt, then type in "chkdsk /p". That will run scandisk to fix any problems and restore any corrupt windows files. It should be able to boot from there, if not, my suggestion would be to put in a new hard drive, install a fresh copy of windows, install your old Hard drive as a slave and either copy ur files (ie documents, pictures and movies) over to the New hard drive or just leave the old drive as a slave and run two hard drives.

So, I have tried the Windows XP CD repair console and the install - repair. I have also bought a new HD and done a fresh installation of WinXP. NOW my problem is that when I go to copy "my documents' from the old hard drive to the new one I keep getting the message 'access denied'. I need my files. Any ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom