Baseband Member
I recently built a new computer system for intense gaming. Here are the specs:

Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 1MB L2 Cache @ 2.0GHz
160GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gb/s hard drive
ABIT KN9 SLI Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Motherboard
2GB Patriot DDR2 (PC2 6400) SDRAM
Creative SB Audigy 4
MSI Geforce 7950GX2 1GB GDDR3 PCI-Express Video Card

Now, I expected to be able to crank Quake 4 up to Ultra settings with Anti-aliasing at 16x @ 1600x1200, but for some reason, it chokes up a bit even on High settings, AA 4x, 1280x1024. Even the old game Halo is a bit choppy. Aquamark gave me 30,000 points, and 3DMark 06 gave me 3,000. My old Radeon X800XT gave me a 70,000 in AquaMark. I'm also getting some Windows freezing issues, too.

What I did: I uninstalled the video drivers and tried the latest from MSI's website. Uninstalled them and tried the latest from NVIDIA's website. No avail.

It seems like only one of the GPU's in the card is running, and at half-mast, or something.

Any suggestions would be hot.

That card to say the least is not really supported yet and it wouldnt be supported on games like Quake4 or Halo at all. What it is, is 2 7900GTXs in SLI in one slot pretty much. Considering those games have no support for SLI (Quake4 that i know of) it wouldnt get the speed increase. Where as the rest is concerned like buggy XP and games, you have a new pretty much unsupported system right now. Ive been told XP is buggy w/ the new AM2 setups and XP and games dont really have the driver support for the GX2 as of yet. Its there but dont exactly....."work" together so to say. If your X800XT is PCI-E i would use that and wait until more support is made for your machine.

From what I understand, I thought SLI was supposed to make one card out of two, so that games wouldn't even notice. Anyway, the X800XT is AGP, unfortunately.

Otherwise: My Abit mobo has a PCI problem. When a PCI slot is used, CPU load is constantly much higher than usual. A BIOS flash fixed it. Now Quake 4 runs at 1600x1200, Ultra Settings, AA 16x decently, and Halo runs well, too. Aquamark went up from 30,000 to 84,000. Still a tiny bit of annoying lag in Quake 4, but at such unbelievably high settings, I would say mission accomplished, anyway, aye?

Thanks for the help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom