MS Win7 HP Notebook

Slacker

Slacking Guru
System Info HP G72 'Notebook CPU i3 M 350 2.27GHZ 3GB RAM OS : WIN 7 Issue: Very slow boot, over 5 mins to boot into windows desktop. Once booted very slow to open anything and very delayed. -checked task manager and normal reading 1.7 GB RAM being used and cpu in idle. -booted into safe mode and ran Malware Bytes- no returns. -System Diagnostics states no HDD found. -Booted into BIOS and currently running HDD test there. (not completed yet) I have posted this in Windows forum and understand if it needs to be moved to hardware. My question is what should be my next steps? as always thanks in advance. ***Edit I forgot to mention I did run a chkdsk /f with no issues found.

Last edited:
Uninstall any software you don't use.
Remove any software from startup that you don't absolutely need running on startup (disable items through MSConfig > Startup tab).

Try running a chkdsk on your C: drive.
Start > type cmd > Right click > Run as Admin > type: chkdsk c: /f /r > Press Enter > It will say it cannot lock the current drive and ask to run on reboot > Type Y and hit Enter > reboot your computer.

If you have a normal HDD, upgrading to an SSD would speed things up for you immensely.

Uninstall any software you don't use.
Remove any software from startup that you don't absolutely need running on startup (disable items through MSConfig > Startup tab).

Try running a chkdsk on your C: drive.
Start > type cmd > Right click > Run as Admin > type: chkdsk c: /f /r > Press Enter > It will say it cannot lock the current drive and ask to run on reboot > Type Y and hit Enter > reboot your computer.

If you have a normal HDD, upgrading to an SSD would speed things up for you immensely.

I just put that i edit.. but I did run a chkdsk ont he drive with no issues found. I will start removing items with msconfig and advise of anything that might work! I also was able to use a ubuntu live usb and it booted and ran smoothly...(not sure if that helps any) I am thinking it is a HDD issue but I am second guessing myself b/c the system would not boot into windows if it was bad?

Last edited:
You could check the health of the drive with the drive manufacturer's utility. I.e. if it's SeaGate, use SeaTools; Western Digital use WD LifeGuard.

***Update-- just completed the HDD tests in BIOS, Good news was it passed both long and short tests. bad news is I exited BIOS to boot into Windows and it said no boot device found. No HDD error 3F0. Will see if I can get into Win and run thru, Joe C will advise on space but I am certain it is less than half full.

Also, you should have done a chkdsk /f /r, not just /f. /r marks off bad sectors which could be your issue.

EDIT--what is the charge for murder? I killed all the startup items, brought back the basic startups and nothing else. Restarted and it was fine. I decided to run MWB one more time but have not had it connected to any networks. Wanted to update When I realized the networking is not working... states it was turned off (Network Service List) turned it on and it advised that the dependency failed. I attempted a reboot and it booted to startup reapair. advised restore. I didn't, I wanted to backup some files. it now blackscreens and function keys make a solid beep.

Last edited:
it seemed like disabling all the startup worked.. but I have had mixed results... ad sometimes it boots into chkdsk... or startup repair... I dont wana give up on it yet.... but can not think of anything else to try any suggestions? and the drive is not even half full 320GB only 120GB used

Try using safe mode, from there you can re-check the start up list to see if something necessary is not being started to boot windows properly

Back
Top Bottom