Mouse cursor sometimes not responding

TheFrogskull

Beta member
Hi guys, I'm new here.
Earlier today I started experiencing some really weird issues with my mouse cursor. I'm not sure how to explain it, but at times I would see the cursor move but I wouldn't be able to click on anything. If fact, if i clicked something that was selected and open (such as firefox), it would go out as if you clicked on the desktop. Sometimes only the taskbar and top part would be not accessible, sometimes only the middle, and sometimes only Steam would work for some reason. I have to close things using CTRL ALT DEL, task manager and my arrow keys to close things. And I don't think its my hardware cos I have an Alienware. Please tell me you can help.
TheFrogskull

first thing you need to realise is that just because you have alienware does not mean the hardware won't break, they are just as likely to break as any other computer.

this does sound like a software issue thought
does this happen with all applications or just specific ones like firefox
does the bar at the top say that the application is not responding, or does task manager state this.
when applications stop functioning in this way is anything using up a large amount of cpu %

additionally, as it is the mouse that stops responding, have you tried un-installing the mouse software, and drivers and installing the latest versions
or even just using the default windows drivers without any additional software being installed

Thanks for the reply. It happens with everything, including the desktop. I can still move the mouse around, just I can't click anything. Nothing stops responding, it's only the cursor that doesn't do anything.

And it's not the mouse either, as the exact same thing happens when I use the touchpad.

Back
Top Bottom