Motherboard suddenly won't detect installed RAM - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2015, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Motherboard suddenly won't detect installed RAM

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

I left my computer on sleep when I went out- I came back and it had shut down. When I tried turning it back on, I was greeted with the ďCannot detect any RAM installedĒ beep code (One long two short).
Since the computer wouldnít even boot, I had limited options.
So I took everything out. I cleaned the front and back of the mobo, cleaned the RAM contacts, switched the positions (2-8GB; 2-2GB modules) and used that MemOK button. Nothing. (If youíre wondering why I have 20GB of ram, itís because I use Autodesk applications and other similar programs.)

Is there anything I can do to remedy this issue? (Short of buying all new ram.)
Iím wondering what happened, and am thinking there may have been a power surge or something similar, but that doesnít really explain why only the ram modules are not working.

~Thanks

zantaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Motherboard suddenly won't detect installed RAM

Check the capacitors on the motherboard for signs of wear. Also, have you tried just a single stick yet? It's not advised to mix different capacity sticks of memory either.

c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

that ASUS P8Z77-V Pro motherboard uses Japanese solid capacitors, chances are high that they are O.K.
Like corrosive stated, either you have a compatibility issue or one of your memory sticks crapped out on you and you need to get a replacement.
How is your memory configuration? 2or 4 sticks and what sizes in gb per slot?
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
that ASUS P8Z77-V Pro motherboard uses Japanese solid capacitors, chances are high that they are O.K.
Like corrosive stated, either you have a compatibility issue or one of your memory sticks crapped out on you and you need to get a replacement.
How is your memory configuration? 2or 4 sticks and what sizes in gb per slot?
I have a pair of 8Gb in the A sockets and a pair of 2Gb in the B sockets (that I got from an older computer). They are installed like this: 8-2-8-2. I did just try the 8Gb but I'll fiddle with the arrangement again.

It sucks to have to buy new memory, but I'll start to look for some replacement sticks. Hope that helps.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Do do not necessarily need to replace all of your memory, probably just one stick. I'd say just about all memory does have a lifetime warranty too, just a matter of contacting the manufactures support site and apply for an RMA.
I suggest that you remove all the memory modules except one and leave that in the last slot. Run a program called Memtest on each stick of memory in the same slot for a over night and see if that memory shows any errors, even one error would mean it needs to be replaced. It's time consuming but it will tell you which memory module is bad. Although you should be able to see which one is bad by just booting up to one stick at a time until that bad stick will give you the beep error.
You can get Memtest here, (use the free version)
MemTest86 - Download now!
burn the .iso using your favorite iso burning program to either a bootable usb stick or a cd disk, set your bios to boot from one of those as the first toot device
PassMark MemTest86 - Memory Diagnostic Tool - Technical Information
Old 03-04-2015, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantaff View Post
I have a pair of 8Gb in the A sockets and a pair of 2Gb in the B sockets (that I got from an older computer). They are installed like this: 8-2-8-2. I did just try the 8Gb but I'll fiddle with the arrangement again.

It sucks to have to buy new memory, but I'll start to look for some replacement sticks. Hope that helps.

Thanks
Try each stick on there own first in each slot to rule out or find stick/slot issue, as I dont think they all would of died..
Old 03-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

According to Asus, they want you to use slot 2A as a single channel memory, so you might have fewer problems booting up using that.
Note: if all memory checks out O.K., you might need to check each slot too.
Quote:
Install one memory module in slot A2 first as a single-channel operation.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...8Z77-V_PRO.pdf
Old 03-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
According to Asus, they want you to use slot 2A as a single channel memory, so you might have fewer problems booting up using that.
Note: if all memory checks out O.K., you might need to check each slot too.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...8Z77-V_PRO.pdf
Read my post above
Old 03-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

yes I did....it's why I posted that zantaff should check each memory module in slot 2A (single channel) first, in order to avoid any other boot issues
Old 03-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for all your advice.

I tried testing the memory sticks in every possible configuration, no dice. Since I don't really have a good way to test my ram (this computer is a MacBook) that option was out as well.
So, I ran over to the electronics store and picked up some new 2x4GB PNY Memory.
Plugged the new sticks in and got the same results - which leads me to conclude that the whole motherboard is dead.

Any suggestions for a comparable replacement? I built this PC from scratch, but have never needed to take out and replace the mobo before. Anything in particular I should look out for?

Tags
motherboard, ram