Motherboard shorted - Are my other components likely to be dead? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 04:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Motherboard shorted - Are my other components likely to be dead?

I've been an idiot and installed my motherboard without using any standoffs, its shorted the mobo (there was a puff of smoke) and I had other components plugged in at the time. What is the likelihood that my CPU etc are now screwed? There is no visible damage to them. Also, I tried turning it on a few more times after the smoke with some stuff plugged in.

Really worried about my other stuff, have managed to RMA the board so if the other components are fine them I'm ok. I don't have another motherboard with which I can test the CPU so it's just a case of waiting for the replacement motherboard at this point

Old 09-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Motherboard shorted - Are my other components likely to be dead?

There's a risk the replacement motherboard will be ruined by any hardware destroyed by the old motherboard.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurrentEweser View Post
There's a risk the replacement motherboard will be ruined by any hardware destroyed by the old motherboard.
Would he not be able to tell from the appearance of the components whether they are broken or not? Also what chance would there be of that happening? People tend to test broken components in other PCs and they don't tend to break.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomS View Post
Would he not be able to tell from the appearance of the components whether they are broken or not? Also what chance would there be of that happening? People tend to test broken components in other PCs and they don't tend to break.

Damage is not always visible. Why take the chance?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

it depends were the short happened and if it went through the circuit breakers in the board. if it was a mild one you really shouldn't have that much of a problem. though if it was a really bad one chances are some if not all are dead also
Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurrentEweser View Post
Damage is not always visible. Why take the chance?
Well I can't afford not to take the chance, I can't afford to give up on all my components as they were brand new. I can test the GPU on another PC but nothing else because none of it is compatible bar the PSU. I guess I can test the PSU using that paper clip method, but my processor and RAM are incompatible.

On a CPU surely if it had shorted it would be visible scorched or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagekitsune View Post
it depends were the short happened and if it went through the circuit breakers in the board. if it was a mild one you really shouldn't have that much of a problem. though if it was a really bad one chances are some if not all are dead also
There was a small puff of smoke but it didn't come from any of the components.

What would you guys recommend I do? I could go to the local PC place n see if they'll test the components for me? Obviously I don't wanna run any risks this time but I don't wanna chuck any stuff I don't have to.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

RMA the mobo dude. you can RMA anything, depending on where you bought it..."i just turned it on and nothing happened"...if you can RMA.
get a new mobo and if there is no obvious damage on the cpu it is VERY unlikely that it will harm a new mobo. if it is damaged, it may not work, but it aint gonna blow up your new mobo.
ram wont either.
i'd test the gpu in another comp and see if it works. if it doesnt, RMA it too.
it is possible for other components to have been damaged, but unlikely they will harm a new mobo. it just wont work.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

send it all back

I seen mobo only take themselves when they die. I also seen mobo take everything else with it when they die
Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
RMA the mobo dude. you can RMA anything, depending on where you bought it..."i just turned it on and nothing happened"...if you can RMA.
get a new mobo and if there is no obvious damage on the cpu it is VERY unlikely that it will harm a new mobo. if it is damaged, it may not work, but it aint gonna blow up your new mobo.
ram wont either.
i'd test the gpu in another comp and see if it works. if it doesnt, RMA it too.
it is possible for other components to have been damaged, but unlikely they will harm a new mobo. it just wont work.
Cool man, your words are very reassuring. I'll try the gpu in my other PC, any chance that could screw up my other PC? People have worried me by saying that my new mobo will fry with damaged components, I just wanna know what the chances are. None of the components look damaged at all.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

the odds of the compnents damaging a new motherboard are very slim. like, probably nil.
the gpu will work fine in the other comp, or it wont. it would take a massive voltage spike to solidify the circuits and cause the components to become permanently shorted where they would harm your motherboard. not very likely.