Motherboard or PSU problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipp1234567

In Runtime
Hey guys.

This past week i finished a build.

When the moment of truth came (plug it in and turn it on), The computer would turn on for half a second, then just completely shut off for 3 seconds and then repeats that pattern. I'm not too sure if it is the motherboard or the PSU.

I did the PSU test with paper clip. my power supply spun accordingly and consistently. i don't believe that its my power supply but is it still possible that it isn't my motherboard but my power supply? i have yet to test it with another power supply, but i'm a bit lazy. is there another way to find what's wrong?

thanks guys.

What motherboard do you have? I actually had another thread here titled "Bizarre Shutdown" where mine was doing something similar. It turns out on my motherboard there was an "LN2_Mode" switch that was causing it. Switching that to off resolved my problem.

I had it plugged in. i thought you mean testing the 8pin with paperclip.

better not try that.

I think that you should pull the board out of the case, leave only one stick of memory, cpu/fan/heatsink and nothing else connected to the board. Set the board on a non-conductive surface and connect the power supply, including the 8 pins for the cpu and see if it will post. (temporarily jump the front header pins for pwr sw)

okay. i fixed it. i detached everything and reattached it. i think i plugged something in wrong backwards or something.

but now i have a new problem. Monitor won't turn on. Like, its on but no visuals appear. it just says no s ignal. whats wrong with it?

It's a Radeon 7970 xfx as i stated above. could the port be busted? i know the monitor works because i unplugged it from my previous build (2 monitors)

I get this info about that 7970 card....
Utilization of PCI Express 3.0 bandwidth requires a mainboard equipped with a PCI Express 3.0 PHY. Not all mainboards feature this technology – check with your component or system manufacturer for specific model capabilities.
AMD Radeon

And this info about your motherboard....
Expansion Slots

PCI Express 2.0 x16

PCI Express x1

PCI Slots
Newegg.com - MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom