motherboard problems ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielweir

Beta member
Hi new to forum.

encountered fairly big problem with friends pc. A few weeks ago fitted a new graphics card to pc as i was told that on some games were "glitchy" . he bought a card i fitted it and everything seemed to be fine . Now yesterday he tells me that during the night (he leaves his computer on alot of the time) his computer turned of without reason (there was no power cut etc ) as you do he attempted to start it back up and by his words " it made a wierd noise like electrical noise and i smelled something foul coming from the pc and it wont turn back on " i asume that the psu had been fried as it is 3 years old and is run most of the day so i fit a 350 watt power supply to it to remedy the problem . But when the failure has happened to the power supply i assume it has blown the fuse in the socket. So i change the fuse go to start it back up and i think that is the problem solved , then after a few seconds before the bios screen comes on , before any beeps etc it turns off and to get it to do the same again i have to either unplug the mains cable or flick the swith on and off on the back of the power supply ive checked for shorts etc but cant find anything wrong and im wondering if the motherboard is toast and that it is just a coincedence that the graphics card was just fitted a few weeks ago .

the +12 volt pin or a different one might of been burned brown on the mobo power socket
if so take a pair of small pliers and bend the pin(s) slightly and try to start it up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom