Motherboard or Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

roboticas

Beta member
Hello.
The problem I have is that my PC wont switch off!!! When i TURN OFF through XP, the whole systems switches off (hard disks, DVD drives etc) except the Power Supply! This also happen if i try to hardware switch off the PC (i.e. pressing the button for 10 secs). Everything stops to work but the power supply keeps on!

So what is the problem? Can you help me? I would hate to buy a new motherboard (my old one is ASUS , bought it few months ago) and reliase that it was a power supply problem (my PS is also not old).

Yesterday I noticed another strange behaviour which may help you to determine the problem. I have a USB to PHONE device (for skype) which uses a lot, if not all, the power of the USB. Well when i tried to make a phone call (before it was working great) the computer turned off AS WELL AS THE POWER SUPPLY!!!!

I would be grateful if you could help me. Thank you in advence.

Whoo, this is a toughy

Do you have any old PSUs you can hook up to it? Or one from a previous computer?

Also, more description on your parts, and how many watts your power supply is putting out.

So more description and I may be able to help more.

Thank you very much for your quick answers.

Well my PSU is 450W.

@nitestick: no no the computer switches off, the screen has no signal, and the only thing working is the fan of the PSU. Even if I try to eject a drive, it is not working indicating that no power reaches the devices. I can also hear tha the hdd's reduce the spin and eventually stop.

I have changed NOTHING on my system. this just occured after one normal use of the PC.

Can you tell my how exactly the mother board swithes off the PSU?

Thank you again.

Yes, that would be the most proper I think ,also suggested by loopholes202.

I was just hoping that anyone may knew someting more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom