Motherboard or Power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcoughli

Beta member
When I tried to turn my computer on one morning, nothing happened. Originally the switch lit up but nothing else, didn't even hear the hard drive start up. I powered down a couple times and powered back on then the power switch didn't even light up anymore.

Previous to this I heard the fan making noise so I am pretty sure my motherboard is fried, but is my power supply also a goner since the switch doesn't light up? How can I tell?

I would like to replace the mother board. Its an HP computer model m390n Media Center PC. The motherboard is an ASUS P4SD and apparently is no longer available and searching the Internet I can not find a recommended replacement. If anyone knows where i can get a reploacement let me know. Otherwise I think I will try building a new computer by salvaging the parts.

Make sure the power button on the front is securely plugged in to the board. I had this happen a few times on the dells i worked on. They used some convoluted power set up and alot of times it just died and the machine wouldnt power on or do anything.

Since the PC will not turn on right now, I do not know which fan it was. All I know is that i remember hearing a slight noise once in a while.

Now that I learned my lesson, I will never ignore any noise in the future.

It could be the PSU open your case and check if any lights on the mobo are on if not id say the PSU is dead. Here is what id do:

step 1. unplug the pc

step 2. take case off

step 3. unplug everything except the 20/24 pin power cord , the 4 pin cord, 1 stick of ram and leave the graphics card in.

step 4. plug the pc back in and see if it starts , if not, remove graphics card and ram try again. If still nothing and no lights on the motherboard i think the PSU is dead.

step 5. lend a PSU if possible or buy a cheap and nasty one to test with.

that's just what I would do unless you no nothing about computers and too scared to break anything take it to a computer shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom