Motherboard or Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowcaster

Beta member
A few days ago my house had a power failure adn then surged back on while I was not home.

While my CPU was on a surge protector im not sure whats wrong with it, because when I go to power it up the lights come on, the CPU fan goes on full, then nothing else happends.

I am new at the whole fixing it yourself thing. Any help would be appreciated.

List Computer specifications. (Specific Power supply model needed.)
Is this a prebuilt? If so just List Company and Model.

If its not a prebuilt or the warranty is already voided you can Open the case, (While computer is off) Unplug everything except the 4 Pin and 20 PIn power connector to motherboard, Front panels connectors, RAM Sticks, Video card and CPU.

This is a POST test, once the RAM, CPU and video card are the only things left in, you can turn it on and see if it POSTs. If it doesn't your looking at Dead motherboard, RAM, CPU or Video card.

Report back before further explaination.

Acer Aspire T160

AMD Athlon 3400+
512 MB DDR
200 GB HDD
Nvidea Gforce 6100 motherboard with onboard graphics

I have voided waranty by adding new hardware. I will try a POST.

make sure that the computer is off before opening it, and make sure you discharge static on your body by touching a door knob or something before touching anything within the case.

Alright, my odd situation is now... odder?

After takign apart my system and performing a POST test, which was normal, I decided to start hooking things in the computer up one by one and turning them on.

I started with the HDD, then the DVD, then the USB, Audio, and then the Modem, and Wireless Access Card...

It now works fine. Any idea how that worked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom