Motherboard Kick-Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC_Jammer

Solid State Member
I dusted off a PC I hadn't booted in a while only to find it wouldn't turn on. So I checked all the connections but still no luck. The PSU won't even twitch. Thinking the PSU was bad, I swapped in another (although I really have no reason to believe the first one was bad since it worked fine the last time I booted that PC successfully).

Still no kick-over with the new PSU. So I stripped the machine down to just one stick of ram, HDD, PSU and mobo. There's no onboard graphics so I had to leave the vid card attached. Nothing. So then I stripped it down to just PSU and mobo, hoping that would at least give me a twitch from the PSU to tell me that worked. Nothing, of course.

Weird. I thought maybe the switch was bad, so I tested it. Found the switch wasn't making a good connection. Figuring that was the glorious problem, I put in a switch from another junk case. Still no love.

Ideas for testing? It's odd that the PSU won't even kick-over. Does this mean the mobo toasted itself without being connected to power? Could a dead cmos battery cause this problem? (The machine is about 6 years old, but has been run up until about a year ago.) Would a defunt mobo cause the PSU not to come on? I know they're designed to only work when properly connected (or properly shorted).

Well i would try replacing the battery. They are cheap so its a good thing to try.

Yes a bad mobo can cause the psu to do nothing. The power switch is wired to the mobo no the psu.

Also check the red switch on the back of the psu. make sure it is on 115.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom