Motherboard Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.O.T.O.R.I.O.U.S.

Solid State Member
I have a Dell and it won't go pass the splash screen (Dell page).
It turns on, goes to Dell screen and then I get a black screen with a cursor on the left hand side of the screen.

I tried to go through safe mode to do a system restore but it won't allow it.
I can't get into the SAFE MODE page!

I was able to run a scan on the system with it's own diagnostic tool. I was paying particular attention to the memory because I get this message about needing to reset the memory which I did. Then I get the same message with the additional notice that the memory has been altered.

I swapped both memory sticks with new ones. Still no change.

I tried swapping the actual memory and still no change.

I am thinking that the motherboard is shot. What do you guys think?

hmmm no errors about no boot disk? Have you tried a cd boot disk? Are your hard drives showing up in bios? Perhaps try to clear your cmos either through jumpers or pull the battery for 5 minutes. Usually you would get some type of error code or message unless it just will not get into bios but yours does.

hmmm no errors about no boot disk? Have you tried a cd boot disk? Are your hard drives showing up in bios? Perhaps try to clear your cmos either through jumpers or pull the battery for 5 minutes. Usually you would get some type of error code or message unless it just will not get into bios but yours does.

No boot disk.

Drives show up in the BIOS.

I also threw in the Knoppix CD and could see all my stuff.

What do you mean clear out the CMOS through jumpers and pulling out the battery?

I am no techie. I know a bit but not that much. LOL.

I know how to find the the CMOS battery on a desktop but not a laptop. Weird. The CMOS battery is the CMOS? lol I am officially an idiot.

I don't remember if I pointed this out earlier. I ran a system test by using the F5 button. It passed most of the ram tests at some point it stopped. Weird. I also ran the Windows RAM test. It passed the first few tests before I cut it off.
I should of ran the rest of it however the Dell System test stopped midway through the six or seven memory tests.

ok sorry I did not see it was a laptop. Is it still under warranty? There is a trick to reset cmos on dells but I have not tried it and do not think it will fix your problem.
This is for Dell CP and CPI Latitudes, it has not been tried on other models. Another way to crack it is to create a short in the 24c02 chip (the markings on the top of the chip) between pins 3 and 6 when you power on!
Is all of your data backed up? Do you have a windows disk that you could try a repair install with?

ok sorry I did not see it was a laptop. Is it still under warranty? There is a trick to reset cmos on dells but I have not tried it and do not think it will fix your problem.

Is all of your data backed up? Do you have a windows disk that you could try a repair install with?

Can I repair it even though it says that there is a memory problem?

Remember it says that the memory has to be reset.

I will try putting in the Dell Windows Disk that I have but I just want to make sure.

I don't get it since all the memory tests I did says it passed.

And then I get these memory messages.

Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom