Motherboard/Hard drive/SATA problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2006, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Motherboard/Hard drive/SATA problems

After recently needing to upgrade, I’ve purchased a new 300gig hard drive replacement and run into a problem!

The hard drive uses a SATA connection, and is connected to the appropriate port on the mother board, which is a ASUS K8V ACPI, Bios Revision 1004.

When i start the machine, the computer 'scans devices' (after the initial start up screen) and the 'Serial_Ch0 Master: Maxtor 7L300S0' comes up, which suggests its installed and ready to go.

Unfortunately, when i attempt to install windows, i get the message explaining no hard drive has been detected/installed. When i reboot and enter the BIOS, nothing relating to the hard drive is present under Primary IDE master/slave.

Under the boot priority menu, the hard drive is listed (as VIA VT6420 1st HDD), but selecting as the 1st boot device makes no difference.

Am I correct in thinking this is a motherboard problem? If so, what steps will be needed to get the hard drive configured?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and for any help or advice.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

SATA drivers need to be installed before the drive can be used for windows. you should have drivers that came with your motherboard. before the windows setup it will ask you if you need to install scsi or raid drivers have your disk ready and away you go.

a random tutorial i found on google

Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you dont think the guitar is cool, then youre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the reply, after my own Google searching I've became aware of the need to use the F6 key!

The problem is, i don't have any discs, nor can i find anything on the ASUS website!

Thanks for your help so far.
Closed Thread