Motherboard go bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandingo

In Runtime
I was playing a game on my computer when all of a sudden the computer froze up ( didnt go black or anything, just froze) and then stated making a annoying buzzing sound. When i shut it off and tried to restart, the annoying buzzing sound was still there and wouldnt go past the motherboard post screen. I tried retarting over a few times and when it did get past the post screen it hung up in DOS and said that there was no keyboard found, and to press F! but was froze on that screen. When it goes to DOS and freezes it doesnt buzz, but when it goes to post screen and freezes it buzzes. I tried to hear where the buzzing was comming from and sounds like its comming from the motherboard speaker. Any ideas what it might be?

Its a AMD 3000+ Skt 939 motherboard with 80gb hard drive and 9600 gt video card.

Sounds like a temp or memory problem being realized with the audio alert. Games can freeze up at times for various reasons like a software driver for the game itself trying to load into a reserved memory address. Video and sound drivers also see lockups especially in XP since Vista sees some improvement in that area.

The buzzing points at a temp or hardware problem. The hardware overheated will still cause a problem on restart attempts until it cools down after a period of sitting idle with the system off. If the system fails to run normal again an overnight shutdown then you have to look at cpu, memory, video card, and even board faults being the cause.

You were right I think about there being a temp problem. I tried starting it up today and worked fine. The back of it must have to close to the wall. Thnx for the help. Hopefullly thats all it was.

Keep a close on things there like monitoring the temps to see if you do end up seeing that or another problem. You may to reapply the thermal paste or even go for a 3rd party cpu cooler if running stock or a fan quit on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom