motherboard fsb speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
hi guys im asking a question about fsb speeds,
my question is say my mobo fsb is 1000mhz and i got one stick of 800mhz i know it will work but what if i want to have it dual channel so i have 2x800mhz wil t work because its over 1000mhz limit

alao what about if my mobo is 1000mhz and i have 4 sticks of 800mhz not in dual channel in single channel so every stick takes up the 4 dimm slots will it still work

Hello,

Dual Channel doesn't double the speed of the RAM, it just doubles the data throughput, by utilizing two 64-bit data pathways instead of one, equaling 128 bit bandwidth between the RAM and processor.

So, if your motherboard supports RAM of speeds up to 800Mhz (PC6400), and you slot two PC6400 RAM modules into your motherboard, all your RAM will operate at this clock speed.

As for the second question, if you place 4 of the same specification RAM modules in the DIMM slots, then dual channel should work, since you've got pairs of RAM modules with the same specification (capacity, clock speed, chip configuration, latency etc...)...

...However, if for example, you place 3 x of the same spec. RAM modules in the DIMM slots, and 1 odd RAM module in the motherboard which is different, (capacity, clock speed, chip configuration, latency etc...) then the memory controller will operate in single channel mode.

so the fsb speed isnt to do with the memory speed, the fsb speed is a communication between the mobo cpu ram and pci slots?

Between the CPU and RAM, yes, but not the PCI slots, or the "mobo" generically. Just northbridge stuff.

Dan

yes but what i dont get is taht say your mobo fsb speed is 1000mhz and you got memory pc6400 (800mhz) say if you have more than one its over the 1000mhz because 2x800 is 1600

each slot is 800 mhz. you don't multiply your 800mhz by the number of ram sticks. If you have 4 sticks each one still runs on 800mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom