motherboard fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowv

Solid State Member
Hi guys, I have just bought 2 more 1gb ddr2 ram dims to upgrade my pc to 4gb with the 2gb i already have instaled. When i instaled them my computer can only see one of the upgrade ram, and only 3gb is showing. I have tried moving them about and thinkk its one of the slots at fault on the motherboard. Does windows have an app that can check my motherboard ram slots, or can you recomend a solution?

Cheers

Yes i have windows vista 32 bit, i checked in my windows index score as well and it only shows 3gb. is there a way of finding the actual amounnt? i was also thinking today that i would get 3x2gb sticks, whould it still only show 3gb?

My windows index is only showing 2814 MB with 4x 1GB sticks in?

Cheers

That is the actual amount that windows is seeing.

32 bit operating systems can only address 3.5 GB of memory. This includes your video card. Since you are only seeing 3 GB of RAM my guess is you have a 512mb video card installed.

Regardless - 32 bit will only see 3.5 GB TOTAL of memory. So you will be wasting your money if you go purchase 6 GB of RAM because only 3.5 GB will be shown.

Go into BIOS. There it will tell you how much physical RAM you have. You can not go over 4GB on 32-bit. That is system RAM plus video RAM

If you have 1GB video RAM, you can only have ~2.5GB of system RAM.

Get a 64-bit OS.

Edit: stalker...

I have a invidia gtx 8800 card, i think its got 800+ memory, Sorry guys im not very tech savy, thats why i joined so that i may learn.
with 4gm ram and this card what should it be showing?
also if i get 3x 2gb sticks will i not see any improvment at all in speed etc, because i have windows 32-bit os?

Windows 32bit can only see 3.5GB MAX

No matter what you put in, you will see 3.5GB

You need a 64-bit OS, whether Vista or 7.

You can buy all the ram in the world but the 32-bit version of Windows will not use more than 4GB of ram. And as it's been already specified, the 4GB limit pertains to not just the physical memory sticks but every device with memory (as in your video card).

With 4GB of ram and a 8800GTX you will see 3GB with your version of Windows

You will see no improvement by getting a 3x2GB set. Mainly because they don't sell a 3x2GB kit of DDR2. They sell a 3x2GB kit of DDR3 which will not work with a DDR2 based system.

To get into BIOS, it depends on your motherboard, most common is Delete when you first start up your computer, in POST.

You will see ~3GB of system RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom