motherboard/cpu "chirping" noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlfan

Beta member
Hello. This is my first post here and I hope someone has heard of this strange problem.

I don't play a lot of games generally but I do have a couple of freeware games that I use for coffee breaks on my home pc, ones Othello and the other is a mastermind clone. When I play either of these games, I notice a distinctive high-pitched but low volume electronic chirping sound coming from the computer. I first thought it was a fan, it was not.

After listening with my ear very close to the computer, I've determined that the noise is coming from the motherboard/CPU area. The sound only happened when I play those games so tried running dxdiag and using the test direct3d button, that sound came on for the duration of the spinning direct x box and stopped when it stopped. So it has something to do with running 3d applications but its not coming from the video card.

Could it be a transistor or one of the other little do-dads (so for my non-techspeak) on the motherboard? Is this something to worry about? I have an Asus K8V-X running an Athlon 64 2800+ chip. I did read on another hardware forum yesterday that some people have had this problem with other Asus boards so is this some strange quality control issue thats slipping by?

Like I said, I'm more concerned with the possibility of board failure then the annoyance of the noise itself.

Any insight into what this might be would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom