Motherboard Boots...With Power Off?!? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Wink Motherboard Boots...With Power Off?!?

A few months back, I started building a gaming rig for my brother. CM Stacker case with their 1000W power supply, an Asus Maximus Extreme board with a Quad-Core chip (6330, I think, the basic one), and a 3870x2 graphics card.

I put the stock heat sink and 1GB of the 4GBs I have for it in, powered it up and installed Vista to play with it for about a week. Everything worked fine. Then I took it apart to mod the case to accept a number of Scythe fans, a ThermalRight IFX-14 cooler, and two fan controllers. Then I ran out of time (I work for a living).

Now it's 2 months later, and I put the nearly completed rig back on my bench for testing and overclocking. When I plug the power supply into the wall, I notice that the LCD BIOS display lights up and starts going through it's paces. The power buttons start the rest of the system (fans, etc.), but it was late and I didn't have time to see if video came up... But I noticed the LCD display kept cycling through a loop with power turned OFF. I unplugged the Power Supply and will come back later to take a look at it.

Has anyone encountered this before? I can't see a mis-wired fan causing this...

Old 07-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to Naphtali14 Send a message via MSN to Naphtali14 Send a message via Yahoo to Naphtali14
Default Re: Motherboard Boots...With Power Off?!?

Double check the wires for the case power buttons? It's kinda hard to understand what you're saying.

Quote "I notice that the LCD BIOS display lights up and starts going through it's paces."
"but it was late and I didn't have time to see if video came up"
"But I noticed the LCD display kept cycling through a loop with power turned OFF"

Those sentences are hard to understand and they seem to contradict each other..

Old 07-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Motherboard Boots...With Power Off?!?

If you're not familiar with the board... It has an external LCD unit that lights up and shows what phase of the POST process the system is going through.

So this is lit up and happily going through it's paces, yet the system is turned OFF. It's almost like the board is taking power from somewhere it shouldn't...
Closed Thread