Mother board clocking corrupts video card. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Mother board clocking corrupts video card.

Ok, I have an nForce2 Motherboard with an nVidia Geforce FX 5900 Ultra on it, and an athelon XP 3200+ processor.

I've used the computer continusly for 2 years and over the past 4 months it has developed a problem.

The video card randomly becomes corrupt and displays progresiv JUNK on the screen, randomly.

Like you will get a clean video signal, then WHAM junk.

I've found the likelyhood of this happening, (it becomes corrupt and undiferentiable within 3 seconds, then you have to restart improperly most times), directly corelates to the CPU clock speed.

The faster the CPU is clocked, the more likely, and the faster the video becomes corrupt.

The problem has become progressivly worse, forcing me to underclock my processor more and more.

From 2204mhz (manufacturer) to 650mhz which it is at now.

at 1800mhz video becomes corrupt at the bios, and if you try to restart it, you have to let it cool down for about 4 minutes before restarting it again, or you will get NO VIDEO at all, on the restart.

at 1200mhz, it makes it to the windows loading screen, and you have to wait about 30 seconds before the restart.

at 933mhz windows starts up but it becomes corrupt about 5 minutes into using windows.

at 650mhz (the lowest setting) it's stabel.

This works with any FSB and Multiplier, that starts up for the most part.

What exactaly is going on here?

Also I'm using a SubZero4G cooler, and currently my processor is at 36 degrees feranheight. (32 is room temprerature). Though temperature doesn't increase almost at all as you clock it higher.

It does the same thing, if you interchange power suplies, or video cards.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Sound's like your video frequency is synced with your cpu,So every time you up your cpu you up the video card at the same time,You will need to lock your video card frequency in the bios,It should be locked at 66mhz or as close as possible.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

Yes, shumway is right with that. I suggest that you make note of any settings in your bios, and then load the default and compare the differences. With the default your cpu wont be clocked where it should, but just see if you have problems at the default settings. If you dont you can try to clock your cpu to where it should be. If you have problems, then make sure that you lock your fsb : agp : pci to the proper settings.

Tell us what happens.
Member of the right wing conspiracy theory.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 11-02-2005, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Also I'm using a SubZero4G cooler, and currently my processor is at 36 degrees feranheight. (32 is room temprerature). Though temperature doesn't increase almost at all as you clock it higher.

ahhhhhhh...noooooo......Your room is freezing water? 32 f = freezing: 32 C = +/- 90 f. Your cpu core = 90-105 fahrenheight
Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
Closed Thread