most frustrating problem ever - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via ICQ to vpx_rodder Send a message via AIM to vpx_rodder Send a message via Yahoo to vpx_rodder
Default most frustrating problem ever

Ok.... gonna try to make a long story short.

i have a pc here that was left on during a lightning storm. Power went out and when it came back on, this guys modem would no longer work. His system has been acting weird.... and it will not work if the modem is on the MB. Could he have a power supply issue? or could the modem be causing the problems? could the motherboard itself be damaged? i think the answer to everything is yes, but i have no way of telling which it is.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick
Default Re: most frustrating problem ever

when we left the pc plugged in and there was a thinder storm our modem got fried, i would replace that

Old 06-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via ICQ to vpx_rodder Send a message via AIM to vpx_rodder Send a message via Yahoo to vpx_rodder

but would your pc still work other than that? this pc will not even turn on if the modem is plugged in.... ive never seen anything like it before.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

does the pc run without the modem? i once flicked the switch on my PSU (accidently) to 115v ( i live in the U.K) so it was putting 230V thorugh a 115V transformer and that blew my PSU but my mobo still worked,

and in answer to your question i cannot remember as it happened 9 years ago and i was only 5 sorry about that
Old 06-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Lightning strikes do nasty things to computers. I worked at a place where lightning hit the power line, came into the building and jumped over to the Ethernet wiring. The immediate failures were a switch, a couple ports on another switch and the PCMCIA network card in my laptop. Over the next few months, we had several other pieces of network equipment fail prematurely that were probably due to that initial strike. I'd replace the modem for sure, but I'd also highly suspect the whole system is likely to go belly up in the near future. Back it up while you can.
CPU: Intel E6300(idle 35C/load 39C)
RAM: OCZ Platinum Rev 2 DDR2 800 MHz (4 x 1GB) 4-4-4-15-T1 (2.1v)
Hard Disk: Seagate 2x250GB SATA ST3250620AS in RAID1
Monitor: Mitsubishi DP900u
Graphics: BFG GeForce 8800GT PCI-E
Sound: SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400 4.1 speakers
Optical: LiteOn 16X DVD-ROM; Sony DRU-710A DVD-RW
Old 06-18-2007, 03:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PolishPaul Send a message via Yahoo to PolishPaul

When you say modem.. are you talking about a phone modem or a DSL/cable modem? What kind is it? It doesn't work? Can you elaborate? what do you mean by "and it will not work if the modem is on the MB." Can you make the short story longer?

Believe it or not, most surges happen on phone lines..

Also, i've experienced a weird phenomenon a few times - after loss of power (even a reboot after crash) i've had my NIC give up on me. I'd switch ports (other NIC) and it works, and eventually the old port would work if used again. Just randomness...
Old 06-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

i think hes talking about a PCI modem`
Old 06-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm926 View Post
i think hes talking about a PCI modem`
Yes, PCI modem. It is an AGERE SV92PL-T00
Old 06-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPaul View Post
When you say modem.. are you talking about a phone modem or a DSL/cable modem? What kind is it? It doesn't work? Can you elaborate? what do you mean by "and it will not work if the modem is on the MB." Can you make the short story longer?

Believe it or not, most surges happen on phone lines..

Also, i've experienced a weird phenomenon a few times - after loss of power (even a reboot after crash) i've had my NIC give up on me. I'd switch ports (other NIC) and it works, and eventually the old port would work if used again. Just randomness...

There are 3 PCI slots on the board... the modem will not work in either of them... well, wait... i should say,,, the pc will not work as long as the modem is plugged into any of the 3 ports. There are no beeps, no video, no nothing.

The ports are good though, as I did try PCI video card,,, and it worked without an issue.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm926 View Post
does the pc run without the modem? i once flicked the switch on my PSU (accidently) to 115v ( i live in the U.K) so it was putting 230V thorugh a 115V transformer and that blew my PSU but my mobo still worked,

and in answer to your question i cannot remember as it happened 9 years ago and i was only 5 sorry about that
Yes, the pc will work without any issues if the modem is not plugged in.

Closed Thread