Monitor went black. Monitor itself isn't the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

subway42

Beta member
I was working on my computer when the monitor suddenly went black. Nothing seemed to be different in the tower; there were no sound changes, no light changes. The monitor's power light stayed on. I recently acquired another computer and monitor from a friend and decided to hook both monitors to both towers to troubleshoot. Both monitors work fine when hooked up to the second computer, and both monitors stay blank when connected to the first computer.

So, the problem has to be in the tower. Based on the information I've given, what sort of problem does it sound like I have? What should my next step be?

The only spec I have for the machine, since I can't access the hard drive, is that it's running XP.

Welcome to Tech Forums, subway42!

Sounds like it could be the graphic card in the first computer not giving a video signal. See if you can acquire another graphic card for the first computer.

Yes, as b1gapl stated, it's most likely the graphics card. See if you can put another graphics card in there. Maybe take the one out of the second computer (if it's not integrated).

Ok, so I'm having the same problem. I'll try to locate a gfx card this week to see if all goes well, BUT incase it's not the gfx...what's the next hardware that can be faulty?

My suggestion is the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom