Is this a monitor or video card problem? help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2007, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Is this a monitor or video card problem? help!

my computer has a dvi port only. last night it kept freezing on screensaver mode. Today it went on standby and froze while I was working on it. Upon reboot the dvi monitor says "no signal" and goes blank. I plugged my computer to a vga monitor via a dvi to vga converter. It boots up fine and I can see the screen, but the display is messed up with vertical lines all over. What do you think? Is it a monitor or video card problem? I don't know if the dvi monitor works with another computer as I have no way to test it. The vga monitor does work fine with another computer.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: Is this a monitor or video card problem? help!

If your video card gives you a bad display on two monitors, its most likely the card.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like a video card problem. Monitor problems are very rare. Does the BIOS show up (the logo and stuff when you first turn on the PC)? If so, then it could just be faulty drivers. If the BIOS fails to show up as well, it's probably a bad card. You could try resetting the BIOS first (usually a jumper on the motherboard), and if that fails, replace the card. If the BIOS does show, boot your OS into safe mode (or Linux users, ctrl+shift+backspace to go to terminal) and uninstall/reinstall your drivers.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10

Can you take a picture of it with your camera or something?
|phucng_10's WM|
Old 11-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

Update video drivers.

RMA your video card (or try another) as this is more feasible than replacing your monitors to troubleshoot. Let us know what happens.
A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Closed Thread