Monitor shuts itself off on startup...desperate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelzez

Beta member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon powering the pc the monitor would turn itself off after 1 or 2 seconds, without displaying anything at all. I would wait another 10 or so seconds before being able to turn the monitor back on, only to shut itself off if the pc is still running. The fans and stuff would "run" with no beeps - just the monitor shutting off. I tried resetting cmos, using a 400 watt psu, used another piece of ram (in each socket as well), and connected only the bare essentials - hdd, cpu, psu, video card, monitor, ram - with the same problem. I tried another Dell LCD monitor as well, and just got a new motherboard which didn't help. Of course, I've checked the connections, too. I tried pressing spacebar and stuff in case the monitor's in "sleep" mode and the caps lock key works. The weird thing is, a week ago I would keep trying and it would work, but not anymore. I'm suspecting it's my cpu - perhaps not able to relay info/data to the video card and monitor? I'll be able to test an old ASUS/AMD mobo/chipset this weekend to see if that will work with my components. Anyway, here's some details of mine in case it helps:

cpu: Intel Pentium 4 2.66ghz 478 socket
mobo: Gigabyte GA-8I848P(-G)
memory: Corsair Value Select pc3200
video card: EVGA Geforce 6800
PSU: Logic 350 watt (generic, but a new and heavier Sparkle 400 watt didn't work, too)
*Wouldn't think anything else would matter that would help fix this problem.

I'm gonna wait till tomorrow night or Sunday to try the old Asus/AMD mobo, but now I can't stop worrying about it. Anyone else have or had this problem? Is it really my cpu?

I tried a working ATI 9600xt. The 6800 did work on those times the pc actually booted successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom