monitor resolution changes!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default monitor resolution changes!!

ok last problem

I recently got a new monitor (KDS) and all is ok, but every once in a while when I turn my comp. off and turn it back on the next day, my screen resolution changes and is HUGE and all my icons on my desktop are all to the left of the screen?????

if I restart it a couple of times its back to normal, w/ all my icons back little again and all in the correct place!!???

it all started when I added a new monitor, has anyone ever had this happen, if so how did you fix it

thanks!

Old 05-21-2006, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

uninstall your videocard drivers, reboot, and then reinstall them

Old 05-21-2006, 01:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok how do I do that? sorry I told ya I dont know anything about comp. only how to type and save things LOL

when I asked the question the resolution was HUGE, I just turned my comp. off 3 times and VIOLA back to normal

my monitor didnt come w/ any disk
Old 05-21-2006, 01:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I did a search on my comp. for "videocard drivers" and nothing came up??

I SWEAR this is the LAST dell I buy (its the only one Ive ever bought)

I had a HP for many years and NOTHING WAS WRONG W/ THAT COMP EVER, no problems ran smooth as butter LOL

but Ive so many little anoying problems w/ this dell, thats what I get for buying a cheapy comp. I guess

'one more little anoying problem is when I start up sometimes the screen will beep and say "fan failure" press F1 to continue then It will boot normal and all is ok, and the ODD thing is I've taken the side off of the comp. case and the fan is working EVEN when it says "previous fan failure"

ONLY A DELL I GUESS
Old 05-21-2006, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

go to the control panel, system, hardware, device manager, display adapters, righct click, uninstall, reboot, either let windows reinstall it or install it yourself by going back to the device manager, and clicking on update driver and or do a scan for hardware changes and then you will/might need to browse to the c: drive to which ever folder that drivers are in
Old 05-21-2006, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by texas seville
I did a search on my comp. for "videocard drivers" and nothing came up??

I SWEAR this is the LAST dell I buy (its the only one Ive ever bought)

I had a HP for many years and NOTHING WAS WRONG W/ THAT COMP EVER, no problems ran smooth as butter LOL

but Ive so many little anoying problems w/ this dell, thats what I get for buying a cheapy comp. I guess

'one more little anoying problem is when I start up sometimes the screen will beep and say "fan failure" press F1 to continue then It will boot normal and all is ok, and the ODD thing is I've taken the side off of the comp. case and the fan is working EVEN when it says "previous fan failure"

ONLY A DELL I GUESS

ill tell you the best option mate learn some mroe abotu pc's and hwo they work i strongly reccomned the building a pc for dummies book and build your own pc ..pre built oens i think are overpriced and just half assed

Closed Thread