Monitor Problem: Appreciate any help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtxdevil

Beta member
Hi, this evening I was using my computer and suddenly columns of green lines start appearing on my screen. I tried restarting the computer and then got some purple lines. I hooked my comp up to another monitor and got the same thing. Downloaded new display driver and installed it and no avail. My LCD then starts telling me that I'm in an unsupported mode, and then goes blank, not giving me an image. I was pretty sure it was a video card problem, so I bought a new one, installed it. The lines are gone now, but sometimes there are two or three pinkish lines which follow my mouse cursor around. If I run a 3D game the rendering is completely messed up. Since I already tried a new card I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks for any help.

1. Change your screen resolution, and set the refresh rate to the lowest possible.

2. If that fails, buy a new VGA/DVI cable.

Vertical (column) lines are usually caused by incorrect input clock frequency - in contrast to phase problems.

When there is a inconsistency between how the signal is sent (frequency wise) and how it is sampled on the LCD, you can see how there will be a column artifact after a number of pixels due to this frequency shift - when they cross.

Assuming I am correct about what's causing the problem, it shouldn't be the cable that's causing this problem.. If replacing the video card made it go away - great. But, now you have another problem. It's possible that this is a completely new problem.

If you want to figure out what the problem is, I suppose the easiest thing to do is get a good system and replace the vid card and monitor to see if either of them creates any problems.

Also, tweak any setting you have available that changes the frequency and see what happens. If refresh rate is all you have, then try that at least.

Digital displays such as LCDs should have a mode table build in it somewhere that contains the timing information based on the display format (1920x1080) and frame/field frequency (e.g. 60 Hz). If there "IS" something wrong with the current timing, changing either one might load timings that "are" good.

Thanks for the replies. It's kind of odd though. 2D games such as Baldur's gate run perfectly fine, but any 3D rendering causes massive display problems.

I'll try fiddling with resolutions and refresh rates to see if it helps any, but so far it hasn't. :(

Another thing that occurs is that when I start my computer, the Dell loading screen that comes up before the windows loading screen the colors are completely messed up. When it hits the windows loading screen the colors are back to normal.

I just bought a ati x1600 agp if that clarifies anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom