Monitor/PC Connection Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanJoseph

Solid State Member
I have a HP a6037c computer. Product specs here - HP Pavilion a6037c Desktop PC -  Product Specifications 

I have used the computer for about a month now, and it has been working fine. About two weeks ago, I upgraded my power supply from the standard 250 watts, to a new 550 watt supply. The computer has been working fine with the 550 watt supply for a few weeks now.

I just purchased a Nvidia 8800 gtx video card, and turned off my system to install the card. I did not install the drivers, or disable the on-board video. (My mistake). I opened up my PC case and installed the card into my PCI-Express slot, connected the appropriate power cables, and made sure everything was snug and in place. I then connected my monitor cable to the card slot in the PC.

The computer booted up just fine, all the fans were running inside the system including the fan on the recently installed video card. But the monitor was not receiving any signal. I thought it was because I didn't install any drivers or disable the onboard video, so I shut down the system and unplugged everything, and removed the card, putting everything back to normal.

I plugged everything back in, and plugged the monitor cable back to the old slot where it used to be, and turned on the system.

Same result! No signal to the monitor at all! I have triple checked everything and made sure everything was back to normal, and the PC boots up fine, but the monitor is getting NO signal!

I attempted to then clear the BIOS settings on my motherboard, but still no luck. I can see nothing on my monitor.

PS: I tested the monitor on another PC and it's working fine.
Motherboard specs are here - HP and Compaq Desktop PCs -  Motherboard Specifications, P5LP-LE (Leonite) 

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas to even get my computer back to normal? Thanks guys!

Make sure your CPU is in correctly.
Make sure your Video Card is completely in, my case didn't line up with my video card when screwed in, so its in there with no screw, so that way I can have a snug fit.
Make sure your ram is in correctly.
If you have on-board video on your motherboard, try that and see if it works.

I had this problem the other day, could've swore my video card was in correctly, I even triple checked.
Didn't work.
I then waited like 30 minutes of ranting and being mad, and I came back and pushed it in a little more, and it worked!

So give these things a try and let me know what happens.

Everything is completely in place, and I cannot even get a signal to my monitor without the Video Card in... even though I was right before I installed the card. Like I said, the computer boots up just fine though.

I took everything apart, unplugged everything, and reinstalled everything, the CPU, the RAM, ect... Anyways, my computer boots up to a new HP screen that I had not seen before. (I assume this is because I reset the BIOS and cleared the CMOS.. anyways, its not my old boot-up screen. But when it leaves the info screen, it goes to the Win Xp screen loading and immediately restarts and does the same thing all over again.

I tried to boot from a CD to reinstall windows, but even though CD is the first boot sequence, it never boots from it. I removed the HD from the boot sequence, and it still wouldn't boot from the CD and just got an error. I can't seem to boot from a CD even though it detects my drive just fine... so moving on. I can officially see something on the screen! It detects my RAM, HD, CD/DVD drive, ect. Any ideas of what I can do to reinstall Windows or get it to boot properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom