Monitor not working - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Monitor not working

I just built a new computer, and when I turn it on the monitor doesnt work, i'm sure that it's plugged in correctly, and im sure my monitor works, i'm using it right now on my old computer.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Monitor not working

could you please give us as much information as possible about your setup, including the major hardware (graphics card, motherboard, memory, power supply, processor) and any information you might think is relevant.

the usual culprits in this case are incorrectly installed hardware (memory/graphics card/processor not seated properly) and loose or forgotten cables (pci-e power for graphics card, p4 pin on motherboard, EPS12v connector). this is assuming that the monitor never turns on rather than doesn't turn on once booted. basically the cause is generally something that is stopping the computer from passing it's POST (Power On Self Test) therefore the graphics card/adapter isn't turned on.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ASUS motherboard
2GB a-data ram
Geforce 7600 GT
and i forgot what processor i purchased but i think it was AMD Athlon san diego 2.2 ghz or 2.4 ghz. something like that i think.
my monitor is an eMachines CRT.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

have you checked the cables i mentioned and made sure the graphics card and memory are seated properly?
Closed Thread