monitor not getting a signal from pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
I recently opened my computer to add ram to it. I had 1 gig and added 512 to it.

This is how it looked before:
-512-
-open-

-512-
-open-

After:
-2 gig-
-512-

-512-
-open-

I arranged it like that cause I heard th pc loads from the closest one first so it is faster to have the bigger one there. I used a grounding strip of course.

When I went to start my pc, my monitor was not getting a signal. I then opened it up to check the side. It turned out the ribon cable connecting the optical drives to the mother board had come lose. I don't see how this relates to not getting a signal to the monitor because the cd and dvd drives don't effect this. In fact, this happened before and it just said that there were no optical drives found, so I opened it up and fixed it. This time, however, I noticed that one of the small sides of the insert slot on the mother board had crafted off and two of the spoke things were slightly bent (obviously due to the thing getting ripped out when I opened the pc door) because the thing wasn't fitting back in. I then bent them back up and reconnected.

I already figured this wasn't the problem though as I explained above. I've noticed my video card being a little wobbly when I went to unplug the monitor the last few times I opened up the comp. However, it seems to be plugged in. I don't know what is going on. Can anyone help?

Make sure RAM is seated fully. Also try removing the 2 512mb sticks and boot. If it doesnt work, try just the 512 sticks like you had in before. Also, put the 512's in the same channel, rather than in separate channels like you show in your 2nd illustration.

Also, what do you mean by "spoke" things? And what on the board is chipped off??

The spoke things are those little thinks that stick out and go into the holes of the connector. You know, there are a bunch of them, just like on a dvi connector,

My mobo is layed out like this:

-white-
-black-

-white-
-black-

By the same channel do you mean put both of them in the bottom one or putt both of them in slots with the same color things on the sides that hold them in. They were both in white slots orginally. Do those colors even mean anything?

The colors are the channels.

So Whites would be channel 1, blacks would be channel 2.

and I still don't know what you're talking about. What connector? You just said "the insert on the motherboard" ? That could be anything on there; PCI slot, USB port, VGA port, fan connector?

It is in the slot you plug in the ribbon cable that is connected to your optical drives. So I put the 2 gig in channel 1 and the others in channel 2?

None of the pins in the IDE connector are touching are they?

and yes, you can put the RAM in that way.

Did the computer boot when you tried just the 512 sticks? Or just the 2gig stick? Do that first to make sure you don't have a bad RAM stick.

I didn't do just the two 512s or just the 2 gig. It wouldn't work with the 2gig in channel 1 (white), so I put it in black and the 512s back in white and then it booted. However, now my comp thinks it has 2 gigs of ram instead of three. It says 2 gigs on the sticker, and I don't understand this at all.

current setup:

-512-
-2 gig-

-512-
-open-

It thinks I have 2 gigs only? Should I try just the 2gig stick and see if they went and gave me 1 gig instead of 2? Xp can read up to 3.5 or 3.25 or something right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom