Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard not working... Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dead_nerd

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I was lanning at a friends house today, and was having trouble with my computer (After I shut it down, all it would do was spin the fans for a second when I tried to turn it back on). I fixed that problem by clearing the BIOS, but then had another problem a bit later.

I moved the ram from slot 1&2 to 1&3 (I was trying to run dual memory, because the startup screen was saying single channle - it was working fine with 1&2), tried to turn the system on. It sounded like it powered up normally, but there was no mouse response or monitor response (monitor said check signal). I figured it was the ram, so I moved it back to slot 1&2, and tried it again. Same problem. So I reset the BIOS again, and tried to start her up - same problem. Then I pulled out the video card (BFG 6600GT), and put it back in, same problem. Checked the processor seating, and yet again, same problem.

One thing that might be helpful is that when I turn it on, the lights on the wireless signal sender for the keyboard blink twice, and the optical light on my mouse also blinks twice (albeit faintly), then they do not have any response at all.

Finally, I tried putting in an old stick of ram (known to work in that machine), and had the same problem. I'm at a loss here guys, and I really would appreciate some guidance! Thanks!

Does the PC get to Windows?

When reading that I thought it may be the motherboard has gone (due to static.)

No, it doesn't get to windows at all, the monitor doesn't even receive a signal. Yea, I know it might be the MOBO, I just am hoping it is something simple ;). Anyways, keep the ideas coming guys! Thanks!

Were you taking ESD precautions?

if I were you i'd disconnect everything bar CPU and known good ram stick and see if you get to bios. + try swapping out the graphics card or using onbaord VGA.
might be worth taking the mobo out to rule out shorts but thats pretty unlikely.

I take it you dont get any beep codes?

No beep codes at all, and this mobo doesn't have onboard video, so that will be hard to check (no spare video cards lying around). My gut feeling is that the MOBO is shot, since technically that was the last thing I was dealing with when this happened (was taking CMOS battery out and putting it back in).

I guess my main concern is that the mouse and keyboard don't work.... doesn't this mean it has to be the mobo or ram? Would a bad video card cause that? Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the responses!

how long did you take out the battery for? if it was less then 10mins then try again.
Though it does sound like a dead mobo

I kept it out for at least 30 :(. I'll probably just go and pick up a new MOBO today, unless anyone has any other ideas? Also, if I install exactly the same kind of MOBO, will I have to reformat or anything? I can't afford to reformat, I have invaluable information (finances) on that computer. Figures I was going to back it up when I got home :(. Anyways, thanks for all of your responses guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom