Monitor loses signal randomly fans blow like crazy or red light appear on Gfx card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fladam

Solid State Member
Hey folks,

Just built myself a pc 5 days ago and it was running fine till i booted up some CSS , i played for around an hour and then my screen went blank and the fans started going crazy. I thought nothing of it and restarted the machine, but it happened again and with each restart the time of which the pc lasted decreased until i could almost not get past POST. I plugged out the power cable and let it sit for 5 minutes and then decided to see if i could find more drivers for the pc , i got onto the ati website but just as i went to type drivers into search it happened again only this time instead of the fans blowing like crazy a red light appeared on the back of the graphics card next to where the monitor signal cable is plugged in, the one with the blue port.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to a solution, I checked all the drivers and they're up to date along with the latest catalyst version:

Sapphire ATI 4850 HD
4gb DDR3 RAM
500 W Coolermaster silent pro
ASUS P7P55D intel motherboard
Intel i5 @ stock clock of 2.67Ghz
Antec 900 case

The case is colder than my wall and i checked catalyst and im only running at 48 degreese celcius so i know there is no chance that the card is overheating.

Thanks for any help,

Adam

Re: Monitor loses signal randomly fans blow like crazy or red light appear on Gfx car

If you have got to a point where you can't even boot up then you can be sure it's a hardware issue. In this case I would say most likely graphics card followed by PSU then motherboard. Can you get a different graphics card to test?

Just grabbed a new one from the guy i bought it off to check, gunna give this a go.

Installed the new card and booted it up, installed the newest drivers for a second time and all seemed to be well. Ran Counter strike source for 2 hours until the screen finally went back, decided to hook up audio and I've just learnt that the audio is looping also, so it seems the system is freezing aswell as losing signal to the monitor, im truly out of ideas here? Anyone got any suggestions?

Re: Monitor loses signal randomly fans blow like crazy or red light appear on Gfx car

What are your pc temps like?

Do you have any sort of overclock ?

Not overclocking and under stress everything sits at around 55 degreese or so, so im sure its not overheating. Im beggining to go down the line of RAM but it seems strange that the monitor would lose signal as a result of the pc freezing. If it makes any difference, im running windows 7 64 bit

Also, haven't got that red light on the graphics card since I got the new one but i have lost signal to the monitor randomly/freezing.

Alright, have had the system running all day and watched some movies on it too but no gaming and so far it has managed to stay alive. Running memtest86+ right now and so far after an hour there have been no errors *cross fingers* I have however not gamed on the machine due to me not being able to use my network adapter ever since i flashed my bios ROM. It seems with the adapter in it gets stuck at the windows logo but as soon as i remove the USB it starts up, i tried changing my boot order etc but to no joy, not sure what this is, i have the latest drivers but i need to restart in order to install them , but without the usb in on boot they wont work, and with the usb adapter in the system hangs before the log in menu. Each time i fix something, something else goes wrong, really annoying, can anyone help?

I'm now taking a trip down the path that it was the network adapter causing the problem to begin with. As i said the system hangs at Starting windows with the logo frozen but as soon as i remove the adapter the screen flicks to black and then to my user screen where i can enter password. Thinking of grabbing a new one today, need a new one anyway since im using an old G adapter from belkin even though i stream a lot of media to my xbox, silly me, hopefully this should fix everything. Will report back.

decided to hook up audio and I've just learnt that the audio is looping also

Have you updated your audio drivers? Are you using the on-board audio?

It looks like your mobo is using a VIA Audio Chip VT1828S and I don't see an update at the VIA site, but Asus has a new driver version 6.0.1.7500 dated 12/22/2009 for 32/64-bit Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. go here and click the Download tab and then pick your Operating System :D

Sure thing, gunna try those audio driver updates. As for the network adapter, it baffles me! I downloaded the latest drivers for windows 7 64 bit , says they're compatible. System dosent hang with it in , but the light on the adapter is not coming on at all! I went to network settings and then to advanced settings and found that the adapter was set to disabled? So i clicked enabled and it said enabling and then enabled but the adapter still says its disabled. Troubleshooting it says there may be a problem with the drivers and then when I go to update to latest drivers it says I have the most up to date drivers, never seen a system contradict itself as much in my life , lol. Any ideas as to what this is or any fixes?

Alright big breakthrough here on the gfx problem, i looked through my event viewer and found many errors with atikmdag, i checked these and 2 of them seemed to correlate. the 2 errors, Display is not active and CPLIB :: General - Invalid Parameter are appearing, they are separate errors but when i check the time and date they both happen at the exact same time, i did a bit of research and found that Atikmdag is a driver that the graphics card uses, but i still have no idea how to solve this from happening, any ideas guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom