monitor loses signal - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default monitor loses signal

Hi I recently built this computer...

8800gt 512mb
q6600
gibabyte p35-ds3r
hx520
2x1g ballistix
acer 19"

There seems to be a problem where the monitor and the keyboard(i think also the keyboard because i am unable to enable/disable the caps key for example)
randomly lose signal. It can happen anywhere between the time I turn the computer on up until hours after I have been using it. The only way to fix it is to restart the computer. When this happens the cd drive still works and I can still hear the hard drive spinning. Does anyone know what may be causing this problem? Also the computer seems a little buggy in general. For example it occasionally freezes or sometimes firefox/ie wont open til i restart.

Thanks

Old 01-14-2008, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: monitor loses signal

When it turns off does the motherboard go out (as in, Windows halts, no sound plays, etc)? Even if the motherboard is indeed fried and halted, the drives are still getting power and will still spin. Check to make sure your motherboard isn't overheating, also check your graphics card to make sure it isn't overheating. It sounds like a motherboard problem to me, because mouse and keyboard are directly handled by the motherboard, as is basic video (while more advanced video is handled on the graphics card, but that receives its signal from the motherboard, and that allows for a motherboard problem).

Keep an eye on the temperatures. I use PC Wizard 2008 to monitor my PC (CPUID) temperatures. Try running some sort of stress test (something that runs your CPU at 100% for a long period of time) to see if that causes it to stop running faster.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
When it turns off does the motherboard go out (as in, Windows halts, no sound plays, etc)? Even if the motherboard is indeed fried and halted, the drives are still getting power and will still spin. Check to make sure your motherboard isn't overheating, also check your graphics card to make sure it isn't overheating. It sounds like a motherboard problem to me, because mouse and keyboard are directly handled by the motherboard, as is basic video (while more advanced video is handled on the graphics card, but that receives its signal from the motherboard, and that allows for a motherboard problem).

Keep an eye on the temperatures. I use PC Wizard 2008 to monitor my PC (CPUID) temperatures. Try running some sort of stress test (something that runs your CPU at 100% for a long period of time) to see if that causes it to stop running faster.
Yes I'm pretty sure the motherboard goes out as I recall playing a game and the sound stopped. However I'm not 100% percent sure. My load cpu temp is 60 and my load gpu temp is 67. My bios says my system temp is 38 idle. How can I tell if my motherboard is overheating? Also im just wondering how will a cpu stress test tell me if my motherboard is faulty?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I don't see how it could be the mobo overheating because sometimes it happens right when the computer turns on and other times it happens after it has been on for an hour. It could definitely be something else wrong with the motherboard tho. Also is there any way it could be a bad psu? I need someone to respond relatively soon because I want to get this figured out before the RMA period runs out.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

u could posibly have a faulty mobo, have u oced anything?
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yea just my video card. but this problem was happening way before i oc'd it so that shouldnt be related
Old 01-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

then it must be your mobo
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 01-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok so you're certain it's not the psu? If so I guess Ill go ahead and return the motherboard
Old 01-17-2008, 11:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i doubt it, the chances of it being faulty and working properly to start up but randomly has problems is unlikely. its ur decision though, i don't want to be wronge and u return ur mobo for no reason

Closed Thread