Monitor keeps loosing signal - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Monitor keeps loosing signal

I just got back from Marine boot camp a couple days and when I went to hook up my computer it worked for a while, but then all of a sudden the monitor lost signal and the screen turns black. The monitor still has power though. Now when I turn it on, it will randomly loose signal, usually within a couple minutes. The computer however remains on. The same thing happens in safe mode.

I don't know if the vga chord got jacked or what, but its starting to get under my skin. Any ideas?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Monitor keeps loosing signal

Replace the video card. See if that fixes it. (try a friends first before purchasing one)

-Vista SME
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

ok its working now. I just pushed everything down to make it was tight. Maybe the video card was loose or something.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You would think it would learn something at boot camp...

Try the on board VGA port on the motherboard, also check the plug for damaged, loose, or missing pins. You could eliminate the monitor by trying it on another system. If it continues to do that on other systems, then I would suspect the lamp or power supply as well. The power supply could be dropping the power just enough the screen would go black like stand-by mode. That should cover the hardware aspects.

But I had an old Nvidia card go bad on me and it blinked on and off.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

common problems of monitor loosing its signal its loose connection, but its a good thing that re-securing the cables did the trick.

if this problem persist and you have an onboard video, you could use that as well to eliminate the cause of the problem between the graphics card or the monitor (unless your monitor really has a problem) :-s
Closed Thread