Monitor has no signal after ram install ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

chr_mar

Baseband Member
I installed some ram from my old computer to my dads office computer and now his monitor wont display windows. I turned the power off and unplugged everything the installed the ram plugged everything back in now she no worky. Is it possible to install the wrong kind of ram and screw up your PC??

hmmm... i havent heard of a problem like this before... RAM affecting your monitor's display?
have you tried just putting the old RAM back in?
did you touch anything else in the case?
and are you SURE that the monitor and cables are all hooked up correctly?
will it display anything on the monitor? or just not windows?
im afraid well need more info to work with in order to really help you... : / - RK

Checked all the connections three times at least everything is plugged in. I dont think I touched anything else I was really carefull of that. I have put the old ram back in and I still have the same problem.

hmmm... this is a very odd problem indeed...
so when you power up the computer, does the monitor display anything atall?
does it run bios, but just not windows, or...?
are you sure the monitor has power?
maybe try taking out the video card and running off of onboard graphics, see if its your card... - RK

When I power on nothing happens, the monitor says NO SIGNAL. Ill try the video card idea.

mkay... let us know how it goes...
cuz i honestly dont see how your RAM could cause your monitor to lose picture... gotta be either your mobo, gpu, or monitor itself... or the cabling on one of those things... because the computer itself is still running fine, yes?
if all else fails, start trying to isolate the problem by eliminating piece of hardware as the issue one at a time... : / - RK

No luck with the video card removal. I guess I must have fried something, I dont know how because the power was unpluged and I touched the metal before anything else. Would removing the ram reset the drivers for the monitor or someting like that. This is really ****ing me off I was trying to help my dad out here and now hes going to kill me, its his work PC

bust... hmmm... try unplugging the monitor and plugging it into another PC to test if thats the problem... heck, just switch monitors with another computer, that way you know if its the comp itself, or if its the work monitor...
and no, ram has nothing to do with drivers... and most monitors dont even really neeeeed drivers atall... so thats not it... try swapping monitors and lemme know how that turns out... :) - RK

Never mind turns out im just a F**cking idiot. I pluged the monitor in the wrong port. Sorry for wasting your time man but thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom