Monitor goes to sleep after crysis loading screen and 5 min into Far Cry 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospelsos

Beta member
Ok so I run a single Ati Radeon 4870 1gb video card. This computer is like brand new and its just my luck that it doesnt straight up work.
Basically I can run Quake 4 everything maxed and I mean everything forever and its all good and I can run World of Warcraft all maxed perfectly so then I decided I would buy some of those games that were the reason I bought such an expensive rig to begin with.
After playing Far Cry 2 I get almost completely done with the opening jeep sequence and walk around for about a second then my monitor decides to take a nap by saying Monitor is now going to sleep. I hear no sound and turning off and on the monitor does nothing. I have to do a restart by holding my computers power button.
So after being very angry I threw Far Cry 2 against the wall and decided to cut my 20$ waste and try Crysis.
Crysis installed perfectly and when I started the game I get past the loading screen and guess what happens. You got it Monitor decides its nap time and I have to hard restart.
So I bough Far Cry 2 for 20
Crysis Maximum Edition for 40
and the gaming computer cost me about 800.
So 860 dollars to play Quake 4 and WOW (aging games).
I have tried updating my video cards drivers.
I have switched the DVI plug.
I have restarted numerous times.
I have run FurMark to test the video cards stability.

If anyone has any ideas on the problem I am open to about anything at this point.
O and I downloaded Left 4 Dead 2 Demo and Fear 2 Demo and ran them both with everything maxed and nothing happened. So....

sounds like there might be something wrong with your monitor, is there a monitor you could borrow just to see if it still does the nap or not
right click on a vaccant part of your desktop, click properties then screen saver, then power or what ever it says on the button on lower right. Change all your settings to never for the monitor and hard drive and anything else... usually these do not matter if the computer is being used.

When you run the Furmark Stability Test what is your starting temp and what is your temp after 2 minutes of testing?

sry late response i remember posting this message and then it never showed up for some reason and now it decided to.
Yea my monitor is brand new and I bought another one on black friday. the primary goes to sleep the secondary just turns white.
Ive ran the furmark stability test and the temp after like 2 min is around 94C which from what ive read about the xfx 4870 1gb is about normal some apparently go to even 112C.
Ive ordered an RMA but just my luck it just left the warehouse a week after i ordered the RMA so i probably wont see it for another 2 weeks. im actually beginning to wonder if i should just cut my loses and physically go out and purchase a brand new video card.

Yea i have the latest drivers according to ATI's website

When I spoke with the company they said that it could also be my power supply not adequately powering the the video card. Is there anyway I can rule this out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom