Monitor goes black at log-in screen. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Monitor goes black at log-in screen.

I recently started using my computer/monitor that I haven't touched for three years. I bought the computer quite recently (4-5 years ago) and it was pretty pricy. The monitor I've had for quite a while.

So I start it up, defrag, scan, do Start>Programs>Windows Update. It starts updating all these crucial updates I missed, then it asks me to restart.
I restart it, monitor is working fine, shows the Windows XP screen with the blue bar moving, then, BAM, it goes black at start up screen, computer is still running.

I hold the power button to turn and start up comp. Then it shows me a screen, I choose "Last configuration mode that worked" and everything works fine. But if I restart again: same problem.

Im thinking it has to be the Windows update. It probably installed the wrong driver or something? What do I do?

Thanks!!!! P.S. Im not that good with computers/terminology so please keep it fairly easy thanks

Old 01-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via MSN to joeten
Default Re: Monitor goes black at log-in screen.

hi could you provide a bit more info the make and model of your comp and what operating system your using or rather the service pack that is on it in the meantime i would suggest you read this as it may be neccessary to do this to try to solve your problem Getting into Windows Safe Mode
Closed Thread