Monitor flashes with certain video types - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2007, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Monitor flashes with certain video types

Basic setup:
Dimension 8200, Geforce FX 5200 video card, and a trinitron plug and play monitor (I don't know the exact model number, it's not listed in the hardware profile), and I'm running win XP with directx 9.0 drivers.

when I play certain video formats, some games (I can only assume it's a problem for all games, as I don't really play PC games anymore, and just tried one today), and video-related programs, such as DVD creation software, my monitor starts flashing to a black screen, once or twice every second. Videos such as youtube and other types of embedded videos work fine, as does quicktime. Anything like a windows media file (although, not music), embedded in a website or played through winamp or windows media player causes the flashing.

The flashing generally tends to get worse the longer I let the application that started the flashing continue running. For example, if I open a website with an embedded windows video file, the flashing starts. If I go back in the browser immediately, it stops, but the PC seems to remain somewhat unstable and is liable to crash from something else. If I don't go back in the browser, the flashing gets worse, to the point where the computer crashes and restarts itself.

I've tried lots of things. I formatted the HD and reinstalled the OS a couple months ago after the flashing got worse, and I think that seemed to fix it for a while, although I honestly can't really remember if it did. I seem to remember that it was fine for a day or two, and then started happening again after I installed Picasas2. I've since uninstalled Picasa2, to no effect. I've installed the latest updates for the video card, fooled around with refresh settings, screen resolution settings, updated the directx drivers, everything I could think of.

Tonight when it crashed while loading a game (the game would get to the load screen, I could hear the music and move the cursor around, but the login screen seemed frozen) I got an error message upon restarting that said windows had recovered from a serious failure. The specific error message I got (one of the things windows wants you to report) was the following:

BCCode : 1000007f BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : 80042000 BCP3 : 00000000 BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

And these were the files it said were in question: C:\DOCUME~1\EVANJE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb459.dir00\M ini121507-03.dmp C:\DOCUME~1\EVANJE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb459.dir00\s ysdata.xml

So, anyone have any suggestions? Is this a hardware or a software problem? I'd be really appreciative if you could help me figure out how to fix the problem, short of buying a new computer.
Closed Thread