monitor cuts out/freezes when running 3d applications please help me! (or read :P)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danvan

Solid State Member
monitor says no imput on 3d apps

my brothers computer started playing up recently, whenever a 3d app is started the monitor reverts to its power off state, saying there is no imput, its fine for browsing and that and only occurs when a 3d game/app is started. got the lastest drivers, checked to see if it was the psu, by using minimal power settings and using a monitor that runs off a seperate power supply and was neither of them, disabled onboard gfx and reinstalled all the graphics card drivers, still no luck, wondering if anyone has come across this problem before.

the system is:
amd 64 3800
k8m8ms mobo
radeon x1600 256 agp gfx card

when the graphics card is taken out and the onboard graphics are used it works fine and doesnt crash, so im assuming it must be the graphics card, however it worked fine for over a year until recently so am confused as to what it is, help is much appreciated.

/dan

Nitestick's Edit: Please don't post the same thing again, or at least ask me to close your old one first. I've merged the two. See below for the second post.

nah the problem first occured with the older radeon 9600 graphics card, so updated the drivers for that, no win. got a newer graphics card the x1600, still had the same problem, even with newwest drivers, which is why i thought it could be a psu gone bad, but like i said i ran it so the monitor was running off another power supply and it still did the same thing, screen went black saying no signal as soon as any 3d app is started, but works fine with no gfx card and running off the onboard graphics, and i disabled the onboard before using the graphics card so isnt that either, is driving me mad =_=

/dan

hey all,

ok heres the problem. a few weeks ago my brothers graphics card started playing up, it had run fine for over a year it was an ati r9600, basically everytime a 3d app started the compurter would either freeze up or the monitor would go black saying either "non support mode" or "no imput", once the graphics card was removed the games ran ok off the onboard graphics, so i assumed it was the card. bought a new graphics card an ati x1600 as i have one in my newer comp and find it to be a good runner, however the same problem occured. i thought it could be the psu so i plugged in a monitor running off a seperate psu and still had the same problem, i thought it could be the memory so took out one of the sticks of 512 at a time and tried it, again same problem, also tried each of the two sticks in the other memory slots, still the same problem, so i dont think it could be the memory, i downloaded and installed direct x9.0c and also the most up to date drivers for the cards, the problem still occurs. anyone know what the problem could be? thanks in advance

oh the computer in question is an amd 734 mobo (k8m8ms)
3800 64 processor
512x2 ddr 400
the new graphics card is an ati x1600

have you tried uninstalling all of the ati drivers (when using onboard) and then putting the new card back in and reinstalling the drivers? also, maybe its using the onboard as the default 3d device, so when it says no input, switch the cable to the onboard graphics and see if anything comes up.

tried with both a 17 in tft and a 17 in crt, same problem with both, its not reverting back to the onboard gfx, i have tried manually disabling the onboard and running it, that doesnt work either and causes a blue screen, its an agp gfx card and been told they automatically disable the onbnoard when plugged in, also tried uninstalling all drivers and starting again a few times, even tried re installing windows and still the same problem occurs, am thinking it could be a motherboard problem? maybe the agp slot gone pop? i dont have much experience with computers so i just trial and error my way trhough things, posting here as i have ran out of ideas, ta for the feedback so far. i run my settings on 1024x 768

Make sure the 3d Acceration profile for video at max. Make sure that your games are running 600x 800 max on that card if you have AA or AL features engaged.

not tried running on 600 x 800, have however tried running both graphics cards on minimal settings with the extras they give, anti aliasing ect, still no difference =_= am confused as to what it could be seeing as the old graphics card ran fine then went mental and now the new one has the exact same problem ( new gfx card was fresh out the box and had the same problem as the old one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom