Monitor Crashing

Kakadu

Beta member
Whenever I play a game, at random intervals my monitor crashes to some weird coloured screen with lines going vertical all spaced out the same. I just got a new graphics card from not having one so maybe this is the problem but at the same time I don't want to use the warranty if it in fact my PSU (its pretty ****ty). It has a 4 pin and an 8 pin connected to this gpu, the 8 pin has two slots to be connected to and only one of them is being used as I dont have enough cables otherwise and the 4 pin has another two connecters, both being connected. Note: I can still hear my game and skype when the monitor crashes
PSU: RK-P650
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB
CPU: Intel Core i5-4750K @3.2GHz

Whenever I play a game, at random intervals my monitor crashes to some weird coloured screen with lines going vertical all spaced out the same. I just got a new graphics card from not having one so maybe this is the problem but at the same time I don't want to use the warranty if it in fact my PSU (its pretty ****ty). It has a 4 pin and an 8 pin connected to this gpu, the 8 pin has two slots to be connected to and only one of them is being used as I dont have enough cables otherwise and the 4 pin has another two connecters, both being connected. Note: I can still hear my game and skype when the monitor crashes
PSU: RK-P650
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB
CPU: Intel Core i5-4750K @3.2GHz

A few potential issues here, but the pressing ones...

1. The R9 280X NEEDS a 6 pin and an 8 pin power connector, so I'm not quite sure what sort of frankenstein setup you've got on your power supply, sounds like you have multiple adapters involved...

2. I can't find any information on that PSU, you're better off with a high quality power supply from a known brand such as Corsair or Seasonic (and some XFX ones as some are made by Seasonic)

3. You've just swapped to a new graphics card, so I would recommend running "Display Driver Uninstaller" Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 15.3.0.1 Download the latest drivers from the AMD website for your card first (but don't run it yet). Then run the display driver uninstaller (do it in safe mode when it prompts you), the PC will reboot after it's wiped the old drivers. You can then install the new AMD drivers you downloaded for your graphics card.

The RK-P650 power supply is a crappy power supply that probably came with the case. You need to get a good power supply if your going to use a better GPU

Back
Top Bottom