monitor continuously on standby (newly built pc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

graeme101

Beta member
Hi all
first of all
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR
an nice problem for you to solve during christmas and new year

right let me start you off with the pc spec

MOBO : Gigabyte GA-8I945GMF
CPU : P4 3.0GHZ HT
RAM: 4X 512mb DDR II
Hard Drive: 2X 250GB Maxtor Sata Drives
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 512MB PCI-express

Right basically its a new build all parts and new and the computer starts up all fans on and can herehard drive etc But there is nothing on the screen its blank and after few seconds the monitor goes onto standby

when this first happen i though i may have a problem with other mobo i managed to get a new on (current one ^^^) and still same problem then thought it may have been a faulty graphics card (old mobo had no on board graphics and forgot that new one had) so sent it back and got a replacement , got it today and still same problem , the tried with on board graphics and stll same problem

i had a look on here and found a few people with the same problem and have not been solved:
also tried different monitor
minimal build
minimal buils outside case incase it was shorting

not too sure what else to try
all i can imaging is the power supply - currently using and old on 250W that does not have the addition 4 power pins - i mean it has the one that is on its own that goes to the motherboard but not the extra 4 one the bigger one sorry confusing - i hope you know what i mean

anyway also tried another 350W power supply that i can only guess is faulty as it will power pc for 5 seconds before turning off - (unless ive done something wrong)

this is really driving me mad now

any help would be great -
once again have a great christmas

I think you should get a better power supply before you try anything else.You really need a better one...

ok just get a new power supply today
HIPER - AWARD WINNING HIPER 580W BLACK LABEL PSU

and still have the same probs
any ideas?

same prob

I have been having the same probs and my power supply is fine. I even have 2 pc's and niether work they r both Compaq pc's, does that have to do anything with it? please reply!!!

Graeme101....
You had the mobo out of the case and it still failed.........is that correct ? Then mobo isn't shorted.
Verify your video connector doesn't have bent/broken pins.
remove RAM card.........then reseat, make sure it is all the way in......... carefully.
You should be able to 'Post' with just your Mobo, Ram, and video. If none of the above work...... disconnect your Hdd, CD/Rom, and Fpp connectors and try to 'Post'.

MM.....
Same as above......

thanks for all you help , i solved the problem when taking out the ram - and it happened to be just one stick of faulty ram

thanks for your help , reagrds graeme

thanks a wholr lot but i actually just made a dumb mistake i didnt have the moniter plugged into the video card i had it plugged into something else thx alot though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom