Modify an ultrabook webcam - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 05-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Modify an ultrabook webcam

Hi all! I have an Acer S7, the 391 model not the better 392. I have an issue, I need to hide the webcam on the front. I am going to a place that doesn't allow ANY photography, even phones with cameras will be taken. I have a cheap flip phone i bought and tore the camera out of, that problem is solved. I need a way to hide the front webcam camera on my acer S7, I am sure as hell not ripping the camera out. So, does anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking a paint that matches the laptop perfectly in sheen and gloss but that will be a problem. The laptop is a touch screen, and the touch area doesn't go all the way to the camera, but it comes within 3/8 of an inch.

I found some images on the internet that best show the texture/area of it;

So my challenge is to hide the camera because I am not buying another laptop; which would be a challenge in of its self to find one new without a webcam, but I also like this one and have gotten used to the keyboard finally. We are dealing with dumb people that check, plus I am confident I can find a way to hide the webcam hardware itself on the computer.

Any suggestions? Another one I was thinking, if this glossy paper like stuff comes off the screen I could slip it off and slide a piece of super white glossy paper behind it, then put it back.

SilverOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Modify an ultrabook webcam

Only thing I can think of is put some small rubber pads over the camera and on the corners so it looks like something to protect the screen when you close it

New system
NZXT Tempest 410 - I5-4670K - Asus Z87-Plus - SeaSonic SS-750KM3 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular PS
GPU MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G - CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB 1600 (2x8gig) - SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 -Seagate Barracuda 3-TB

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I would peal off the sticker left of the mouse pad and place it over the cam.
bevolasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks I think I will go with the padding idea, unless somebody else posts a more awesome idea.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If it's just a normal cam you can remove it from the laptop, and for most places that will work (I have worked places that all electronics are verboten if they can support a camera in any way) so where are you going and we will be able to help you nail it down.
Visit this and do something for the world!

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Kharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It is a place called work release, apparently going 140mph down the highway is almost a felony. So now I get to do 2 months of it; the rules are copied as stated exactly.

I do have legitimate need for a laptop already :P

Q: Can I have a lap top computer?
A: Offenders may have a lap top computer if they can prove necessary and legitimate school or business
use for it and it does not have a camera. Approval must be gained by work release staff upon intake for
the use of a lap top computer.

Q: What about my cell phone?
A: Cell Phones with cameras are not permitted in work release. Such phones must be turned into staff upon
returning to the facility. They will not be charged while in storage. Call phones without cameras may
be accessed in a designated part of the facility, subject to some restrictions. Cell phones may never be in
the dorm areas, and thus cannot be used as an alarm clock.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Going over 100mph IS a felony .

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote